Author Topic: Doxycycline for URI???  (Read 1237 times)

Offline JagersMommy

Doxycycline for URI???
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
I dont want to take all my rats in to the vet and spend over $100 when I can just buy something online. Some one old me to try Doxycycline. I found some online, but its powder. They told me to mix it in water, or baby food. Does it work? And how much should I give? Here is the link to the medication. Please let me know ASAP, as I am planning to order Monday, my pay day.  :BlueDumboSmile:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:04:20 PM by Marybelle »

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Doxycycline for URI???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 01:05:59 AM »
If you order 3 days from now and it takes up to a week to arrive, if your rats do indeed have a URI that's too long to wait.  As for the product you linked, it offers a % not an actual dosage in mg, which is pretty useless to translate into dosing for rats.  If multiple rats are sick, it could be viral.

For future reference, rat dosing for doxycycline is 2.5mg/lb twice daily.

Offline JagersMommy

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:23:41 AM »
That is the only stuff I could find online, besides 100mg tablets.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
Your rats need a vet to diagnose their issue and prescribe proper antibiotics for their condition and weight. Veterinary medicine is not a cookbook type of thing- and buying antibiotics online is not a good idea.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline dr.zapp

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
Actually, it is exactly like a cookbook. The vet gets the weight, and then prescribes the dose according to "The Merck Veterinary Manual" or other PDA analog for vets. Drug choice is often based on nothing more than preference, because they almost never do a culture to actually identify what is causing the URI and what will work best. Anyone who knows what a URI sounds like can diagnose it just as reliably as a vet. As for buying antibiotics online, I'm sure there are some shoddy suppliers.
the doxy, cipro and amoxy I have ordered from there are identical to the prescriptions I have had. How do I know? I have an HPLC at my lab... :-)
However, if you are not experienced in diagnosing a URI, you absolutely need to see a vet, even to just get a second opinion if you are not sure. Otherwise you may be throwing antibiotics at an allergy or virus, both of which will not respond and have symptoms very similar to a mild URI
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:02:38 PM by Marybelle »

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:07 AM »
One suggestion for hiding the flavor of Doxy, our guys take it with beef or chicken flavor baby food.  That way we avoid mixing it with dairy, since calcium impedes the absorption of the drug.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
Actually, it is exactly like a cookbook. The vet gets the weight, and then prescribes the dose according to "The Merck Veterinary Manual" or other PDA analog for vets. Drug choice is often based on nothing more than preference, because they almost never do a culture to actually identify what is causing the URI and what will work best. Anyone who knows what a URI sounds like can diagnose it just as reliably as a vet.

Well, raisin, then I spent a lot of years and time learning how to diagnose and treat animals when I just needed to read a book.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
Actually, it is exactly like a cookbook. The vet gets the weight, and then prescribes the dose according to "The Merck Veterinary Manual" or other PDA analog for vets. Drug choice is often based on nothing more than preference, because they almost never do a culture to actually identify what is causing the URI and what will work best. Anyone who knows what a URI sounds like can diagnose it just as reliably as a vet. As for buying antibiotics online, I'm sure there are some shoddy suppliers.
the doxy, cipro and amoxy I have ordered from there are identical to the prescriptions I have had. How do I know? I have an HPLC at my lab... :-)
However, if you are not experienced in diagnosing a URI, you absolutely need to see a vet, even to just get a second opinion if you are not sure. Otherwise you may be throwing antibiotics at an allergy or virus, both of which will not respond and have symptoms very similar to a mild URI

I'm curious, where exactly did you get your degree in veterinary medicine?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:02:52 PM by Marybelle »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
I've removed references to buying drugs online.  It's in the rules, we don't allow that sort of thing here.  Consult your vet.  They are trained professionals for a reason.