Author Topic: Help! Found kittens in the backyard!  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
Help! Found kittens in the backyard!
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
I usually post on the rat part of this forum, but we're suddenly in a pinch of stuff I've never dealt with before.

We found kittens in the backyard, 3 of them. A friend of my roomie came over and heard the crying out back and went to see. The momma ran off and I'm torn because leaving them out to be with their momma seems like the right thing to do, but we don't know if my roomies dog will try to get them. :( My dog is the one that found them and besides being over-exuberantly happy, she hasn't done anything.

Their eyes and ears are open.

We don't think they are weaned, but we can't leave them in the backyard because of Onyx. Any advice would be welcome, we might be going to pick up kitten-milk here in a bit and see if they'll take that. The kittens are currently in a cardboard box with some blankets. One is asleep, the little runt is staring me and Jezebel.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Help! Found kittens in the backyard!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
I'm torn, because mom is mostly likely a stray, and these kittens will become strays if you leave them out there for her to come back...  But, it takes a lot of work to hand-raise kittens, so you need to be dedicated if you're going to do it, or find someone else who will.  Unfortunately, it's kitten season, so there are lots of them out there, and you might have trouble finding someone to help with them, and finding them homes.  :/ 

This probably wasn't much help.  Good luck in whatever you decide.

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
Went by petsmart and the cat rescue that was there adopting out told me to put them back out where we found them.

Momma came back and picked up one of them, the little spitfire I liked. The other one is still in the box curled up and sleeping for the most part. I accidentally scared Momma off when I went outside to check to see if she had come by, I'm guessing she had just moved the one kitten and was going for the second one.

I cannot readily with 2 dogs, 2 rats and 1 cat in the house easily take care of more animals. It goes against everything in me to leave those kittens out, but they need their mother. :/ So I will wait until tonight, if Momma doesn't come and get the last baby, then I will probably take it in to help it. They are probably around 3 weeks and are teething, but not we're guessing, able to eat solids.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
I'm sure mom will come back once it's quiet again.  :) 

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
I hope so. Kitten is still there snuggled in the blanket right now.

I'm pretty sure it's a male. Every time I peek in or pet it, I sneeze. I'm allergic to male cats, but not females. lol

I'm heading out to see my Fiance so hopefully by the time I'm back Momma comes by and picks him up. Keeping fingers crossed.

Offline aem3055

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
Aw, man! I would be so torn too!!! I agree with your decision, that it's best to let their momma raise them.... but I would TOTALLY want to take them in and nurture them too!!! Poor loves! :BlueDumboBigEyes:
Amy M... Momma to 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat & 5 rats

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:08 AM »
So Momma came back yesterday and got one of the kittens.

I THOUGHT she had gotten them both because last night after I got home, the blanket was out of the box and the kitten was nowhere in sight.

Nope. Kitten has been wandering our backyard all night and was miserably wet this morning from morning dew on the grass.

So I scooped him/her/it back into the box with a blanket to warm up and dry and ended up late to work because I ran around trying to find a pet store that opens at 8am and not 9am  :doh:

Luckily Walmart had some harts milk replacer for kittens and the kitten is definitely in the weaning faze because that kitten chomped on my finger when I put some milk on it. If I was momma cat, yea, I'd start weaning too. He/she/it sucked on some milk-soaked dry catfood too because I was curious if he/she/it would eat it as the brother that was taken by my roomie's friend is already eating solids as well as some milk.

We'll see how this goes.

I've never had to hand-raise a baby animal before O_O

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
Good luck!  The fact that he's ready to eat solids is actually a really good point in your favor.  Cats are much easier to hand-raise at that point.  :)

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »
Good luck!  The fact that he's ready to eat solids is actually a really good point in your favor.  Cats are much easier to hand-raise at that point.  :)

s/he might be ready, but it is unwilling to eat actually cat food. Gonna try picking up some soft catfood and see if that helps. So far the kitten has discovered that bottle=milk so this is at least good.

Also has moments where it is willing to play so we'll see.

I currently have a very overzealous dog hanging outside the crate that the kitten is in like it's dog tv.

I dunno what to do about letting the kitten roam though. The dogs would probably be too rough for her. I let her out on the bed for awhile and she kept going back and forth between the crate and me and snuggling down NEXT to the crate.

I hope i can get it to eat solids later.

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »
We are still alive and going. Kitten is very sleepy and tired right now (finally). I called my vet and the vet tech said when he comes back in, she'll ask him if there is anything else I'm not already doing for the kitten that I could be doing.

We're feeding every 3-4 hours about half an oz each. Says at the kitten's rough age they should have about 2oz daily. We are also going to pick up some soft/wet catfood and see if it likes it... since it tried to steal the meat off my totinos pizza yesterday.

And... for cuteness sake...

Meet Little Kitten

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »
Oh, how precious! 

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
The precious gets better, trust me. Earlier before I went back to Urgent Care, the kitten fell asleep in the middle of nursing the bottle. Literally just eyes started to close and then poof, fell over.

We just had our first taste of wet catfood and loved it. We don't have all of our teeth in, but our big fangs are in and sharp *rubs very tender fingers* so hopefully we'll be weaned off the milk before I have to buy a new one of it :)

S/he is currently attacking anything that is cloth or paper on the bed. Earlier when the dogs were in here too, she kept swiping at Jezebel's hair. Luckily, Jezebel didn't mind and would just nose her and play back.

Aaaaaan hello uber cuteness. You can still see milk on its lips.

Jezebel and Little Kitten.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
Eep!  *dead*

Offline aem3055

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:41 PM »
SWEETNESS!!!!!!  :shocked2: You need to put a warning label on that much CUTE!!!  :heart: :heart:
Amy M... Momma to 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat & 5 rats

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
Too cute!!! I hope you live far away from me before I come snatch them up!

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »
Too cute!!! I hope you live far away from me before I come snatch them up!

Well... looks like you're only a state away.

loki is talking about us keeping the kitten, but we cant if it is a boy so i mean... there might be possibilities there if someone close (for some ungodly reason) doesn't want it. Even fixing a male, something about them causes me to get itchy eyes, itchy throat and sneezes. But oddly, females don't.

OY HEY! NO FALLING OFF THE BED! I do not need a heart attack before work.

Oh, I have not named it because I'm not planning on getting attached to it whether it's male or female because we've already got 4 humans, 2 dogs, 2 rats and 1 other cat in the house. While the house is of a decent size, it just seems crowded.

But...

I have dubbed it Motorboat until further notice.

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
Just an update on the wee-one.

It's a He. He responds to Hunter after pouncing Flux (my rat) during out time.

He has a bad cold and had really bad ear mites, but we've gotten him to my ever so wonderful vet who has me on order to call him if his cold gets any worse so we can get him on antibiotics.

He's off milk, but still doesn't like dry food and vet says give him whatever he'll eat so he's on canned food until further notice. Because he has a cold and his nose is all stuffed, if they can't smell it, vet says they won't eat so whatever he will eat, he gets.

We have to keep him for roughly another 6 weeks or so by Vet recommendation. I trust my vet wholeheartedly with cats and dogs, he's amazing with them.

That way he'll be over 2lbs (he's at 1.26 right now) so he'll be able to have proper ear mite meds as well as be able to be on flea meds because they all have a 2lb weight minimum.

Thank goodness I have the money right now to give extra care to all the animals in the house, makes me happy I can help the lil one.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »
I'm glad he's doing well!  :)

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
Wet food is generally better than dry anyway.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »
Just. Thud. Already. He's so lucky to have found you.  :heart:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline ratsareausomepets

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 12:50:42 AM »
Thats good that he gets along with your rat! :bdaysmile:

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:26 AM »
Is he still with you?  :poke:
--Best, Mountaintop--

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »
Did kitty make it? Hoping for an update.  :poke:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh, sorry I never check this area of goosemoose :(

Yes, he is fine. He occasionally snores from having a URI at such a young age (it's cute really) and he is still with us. We have not adopted him out nor will we. If he hits maturity and I start being allergic to him for whatever reason, I will take Benadryl, that kitty is my baby.

He has discovered that Flux does not like other animals. Flux being our lone rat. He now teases Flux by being near the cage, but is smart enough now NOT to put his paws on the cage (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. 2 times seemed to work, he doesn't touch the cage anymore)

He is VERY cuddly in the mornings. But our dog Jezebel is jealous so we just pick him up where he hangs out on our shoulder and nuzzles to his hearts content purring like a madcat.

Any other time he's kinda a dick... but he's really loveable in the mornings :)

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »
So glad to hear it!
--Best, Mountaintop--