Author Topic: expensive cat  (Read 1852 times)

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
expensive cat
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
I just spent almost $10 for 3 days worth of food for my one cat.  Does that sound insane?  I'm not going to be able to afford this forever!
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: expensive cat
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »
A little bit! Are you feeding a kibble or a canned food?

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »
3- 3oz cans a day.  He will only eat canned food with gravy.  he either won't eat or vomit anything else.  I actually just called a couple of the food companies and ask about coupons and they are sending me some.  He's only 2 though so I don't see how I can afford this long term!  He's not going anywhere but I'm not sure what I'm going to do!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Is this a new problem? The eating and vomiting? Have you spoke with your vet?

You also cant change foods cold turkey. You have to work in the new foods gradually or they will vomit or even better explosive diarrhea. :eek:

When I have sick kitties I take the pate type food without gravy and mix in some water or no salt chicken stock.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:14:21 PM by forkyfork »

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
No, is not new.  He started with urinary issues about 6 months ago or more.  We dissolved the crystals and since he won't touch dry food and he either won't eat or vomits a lot of others.  He's had bloodwork done and we've tried pepcid.  He vomits pate canned food.  I've found that he seems to vomit turkey based food more often but I've found no other reasons.  Otherwise there are maybe 5 kinds he doesn't vomit but they range from 75 cents to 1.40 a can and he eats 3 a day.  He's breaking me.  I've tried a few raw brands too, but he's so picky anymore.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »
I have had years of dealing with uti crystals. Come to find out that our water is super high in magnesium so the added magnesium regular food puts 4 of my 8 cats over the edge. Its killed me to have to feed UTI prescription formula food for years. It has so much corn. Plus its crazy expensive for 8 cats. Im not feeding the non prescription urinary food by purina. They have 2 versions. The more expensive version has a better label.

The thing is if I take them off of it then within a week or so we are back at the vets. Raw is not an option. Im also not convinced they way most feed it that its the ideal diet for cats. Cats are very removed (theory of evolution) from their "wild" ancestors. If they required raw the idea raw diet should also contain insects and greens.

There really arent any cheap canned foods. I have a stray I feed that eats the large (dog food size) can and it lasts about 2 days. It comes with chunks and gravy. You have to read the labels. Some of the friskies (petsmart has the most selection) have better ingredients than the others. I avoid fish due to mercury.

If you try different foods you need to mix the old with the new with less and less old.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »
I meant to say I am now feeding the non prescription purina urinary formula

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 06:19:51 AM »
I was feeding him one kind of canned food that I knew he liked and wouldn't vomit.  By the end of the third day he was eating less and less each feeding.  So i feel like I have to mix it up a little to keep him eating.  His stools are never affected.  He has ruined my carpet though due to I'm guessing the food being greasy?  He vomits within 10 minutes of eating usually.   When he was on pepcid it was 4 hours later.   Weird cat!

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 06:22:47 AM »
I tried the dry urinary diets.  Prescription and not.  He won't  touch any of them.  I was glad that my vet  and the pet store would take them back.  I juat felt bad.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »
They all have canned prescription diets unfortunately they are all pate. Except for friskies uti formula.

I did find something interesting. Friskies makes a canned urinary formula with the meaty bits and gravy. I know you can get it at pet food direct for 18 for a case of 24. They have free shipping but dont know if it applies to canned foods.  I used to order my cats food before we had uti problems because that was the only way I could get pet guard brand cat food.

They have it on petcos website but dont know if the meaty chunks are stocked in the store. If you try it make sure it says special diet.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
I know our local Pet Supermarket carries that.  It was one of the ones I grabbed when we were trying everything to get Murphy to eat. 

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »
Science diet has new stews too which he likes but they are also over $1 each.
That's awesome.   I'll check into that!   Thank you.   
The sad thing is I wanted to keep him on a good food.  (I mean no sd, Purina, iams etc and that's all he wants!   Figures!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 12:14:37 AM »
I dont know why they have to make uti food so crappy and why good foods have to have so much magnesium.

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
I found the friskies diet ay my grocery store!  He got his first meal this morning.  Hopefully no vomit.   :/  l hate to say this but I have considered euthanasia.  Cleaning up vomit weekly gets a little tiresome.  But every time I think about it I cry.  The can was .46 cents.  I can definitely handle that a little better!   Thanks for the help!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »
Honestly, vomit is a part of having a cat. Its normal for them to bring up the wad of hair they have collected in their stomach. They may also vomit a few times before it actually comes up. They seem to bring up a hairball about once a week. I have a tiny girl with funnel chest that vomits daily because of the lack of room in her chest area.

I have 8 cats and if each one vomits once a week I get a pile about every day.  I hate it, seems like right after I clean and vac the carpets someone barfs right in the middle. Even better is slipping in it when its on the kitchen floor. I could never get rid of them because of it. I would like it if they didnt do it right outside the guest room door when we have guests. Herk herk herk glaaaack  lovely

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
I'm back with an update.   I went 2 weeks without any vomit. It was awesome.  Then last week he vomited once.  In the past 4 days he has vomited 3 times. I'm frustrated again.  I bought pate canned food and he wouldn't eat it and thought he was starving all night.  I was able to return it luckily.   Guess I'm going to talk to the vet about what else I can do.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »
Is there any houseplants he could be eating? I have one cat that only eats the fallen leaves which makes it impossible to tell unless caught in the act and one that even eats plastic plants.

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 06:34:44 AM »
Yeah, he just a ate a baby off my spider plant again.  Didn't think about putting the two together but anything green makes him vomit too.  The plant wasn't in there so i didn't think about it being an issue.  Thanks!