Author Topic: Canned cat food  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Artistwolf

Canned cat food
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
What is the best type of canned cat food I should use? I might possibly get a cat, so I need to know. Preferably, I would like it to be able to be bought at either Target or the local supermarket, but Petsmart/Petco would be okay too.
I would love something not overly expensive, but still good quality.
And should I use some dry food too, or should I stick soley to canned? I've heard that only dry food can cause problems, so that's why I'm asking about wet.
I don't think that raw would work for us, because the freezer is already usually too full, and.. My mom would NOT be happy with buying weird meats for a cat  :yelcutelaugh:
Thanks in advance!
"We may have the numbers, but they've got the heart!" -Outcast of Redwall, by Brian Jacques

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Canned cat food
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:02:39 AM »
If doing a home made raw diet isn't for you (which I get), look into some of the thaw & serve type deals. I love Nature's Variety brand of cat food, but there's also Primal, Stella & Chewy's, and a few others I can't think of. Basically, the more meat and the less veg/fruit matter, the better. :)  I'm a raw feeder but I like to use the freeze dried stuff for my ferrets and my cat gets it on occasion. 

I would skip dry food completely if you can. Dry food has so many things in it that cats just don't need. Plus, with an already low drive thirst, sodium is added to dry food to try and trick them into drinking more water. Canned food has the advantage of already being watery so the cat will take in a better amount of liquid (cats get their water from their prey normally).

Target doesn't have ingredient lists for the wet food they have available, but looking at what they have, I think Fancy Feast isn't bad. Some Targets may sell Freshpet Select, another freeze dried food, (I think my Kroger's does too). It has more veg matter in it than I like but it's better than kibble!

I'm pretty sure Petsmart sells Nature's Variety Instinct freeze dried. Canned food wise, I like Nature's Variety, Wellness, Blue Wilderness, Natural Choice. I think they're all good brands. :)

Sorry this was so long! I tend to get a little rambly when it comes to cat nutrition.

Offline Artistwolf

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »
Thank you so much!!! I might be able to do the freeze-dried, since you just have to keep it in the fridge, right? And is the freeze dried super expensive?
I'll have a look at all the other stuff, too. Thanks again!
"We may have the numbers, but they've got the heart!" -Outcast of Redwall, by Brian Jacques

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
As far as canned foods go, Fancy Feast isn't awful, as long as you stay away from the gravy ones.  They put wheat gluten in all of those as a thickener.  Petsmarts Authority brand is actually pretty decent, surprisingly, and pretty affordable.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
I've  always kept mine in the freezer and thawed for a meal at a time but you may be able to keep it in the fridge. I'm not sure about that, to be honest.

Offline Artistwolf

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:59:36 AM »
Hmm, I'll have to look that up.
If I wanted to get a cat that could grow to be around 15 lbs, then wouldn't he/she need more than three cans of food a day?! That could get expensive... Hmm.

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
It does! My cat is just under 10# and he gets 3-3oz cans a day.   But some foods have different feeding charts.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline RandyMiller

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »
Even I am looking for the best canned food for my cat. Which one did you choose?
Pet Supplies Plus

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »
My vet is very happy with Abby eating Fancy Feast.  But they also recommended giving her Science Diet Oral formula, dry, 5 pieces a day, to help keep her teeth clean.  I don't know many cats that like to have their teeth brushed, although my cousins cats do.

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
I feed my cat 1/3 to 1/2 a can of Friskies every evening for dinner (generally found at target, Walmart, grocery stores etc). She loves them, and they add variety and other nutrients to her regular diet.

She is fed Good Natured brand cat food, which is only found at Petsmart but is actually very affordable ($24 for 16lb bag for the kitten food). Good Natured has no corn, wheat, or soy in it, and is all natural. It has actual ingredients in it, not meal and other byproducts.

I would still feed a dry food, just to provide a rounded diet, in addition to a wet food. Meredith has no problems drinking water and staying hydrated, so I'm not worried about the dry part of the diet.