Author Topic: bottle baby advice  (Read 707 times)

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
bottle baby advice
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
Hello,

I was hoping you could possibly help me with a question while all my vet offices around me are closed today.

I am currently taking care of 2 bottle babies.  A litter of 4 kittens were “dumped” into our backyard. We found them in the grass, thought maybe a mama cat was moving them but the next morning they were still there, 2 had passed (I kick myself for that, was just hoping a mama had moved them and I spooked her). So I brought the other two in. They were estimated at 2 days old. They are now 7 days old. Ears are unfolding - eyes still shut. They’ve been doing great the 5 days with me. When I brought them in they only weighed about 2.0 oz and 1.8oz. As of this morning they now each weigh, 4.1oz. They’ve been eating great. Every 3hrs about 4cc’s to 5 cc’s as of yesterday (earlier was less because of weight). Starting last night I noticed one of the boys had a super round belly. I was figuring it to after his feedings. I’d burp, clean, burp again and then they’d be a sleep so I’d place them in their warm box again. This morning before feeding his tummy was down and squishy again, we got 2cc’s into feeding and it was like his tummy immediately puffed up and is hard. He quieted down and went fast to sleep. I thought maybe he had to poo since I have seen tummy fighting from that again but we worked on it and no poos. Poo’s have been normal, crawling around normal, searching for food normal, crying when I get ready to feed them has been normal.

Do they go through spurts were they’ll eat 4-5cc and then next time only take 2cc to fill them? Last night I thought it could be the way he was eating from the bottle so I switched back to the tiny 1cc syringe. That is also what I used this morning.

Thanks for any advice,
Robin

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
Re: bottle baby advice
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »
Sorry I have nothing to add. It does seem like you have it under control.  If you get food in and poos out! You are on the right tract.  Good luck.