Author Topic: Cat with Abscess  (Read 1038 times)

Offline iguanagirl5639

Cat with Abscess
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:06:01 PM »
Okay were caring for a feral cat colony, there is a male that wasnt born feral, but has joined the colony. He came around tonight with a wound on his neck kinda below his right ear. Its got some drainage going on and an infection smell. Can this be treated at home until i can get him in to a vet?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Cat with Abscess
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:47:46 PM »
Mostly that will depend on if he'll let you handle him.  Abscesses generally require flushing and cleaning, plus antibiotics, as soon as you can get him to a vet.  If he'll let you do that, great!  Otherwise, you'll have to have the vet do sedation to get it cleaned out, and likely injected antibiotics.

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »
I can handle him pretty well he is mostly talk lol, what would i clean it with? Saline or peroxide? I know no triple antibiotics due to it needing to heal from inside out and not just heal over.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:16 PM »
Saline will sting less, plus peroxide can damage the healing skin.  Warm saline would be best.  If he'll let you put a warm compress on it and hold it, try that, followed by some flushing.  That said, with it being on his neck, he'll need a vet visit for antibiotics sooner rather than later.

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »
Im trying to find coverage for work tomorrow so i can take him to the vet. But its hard to find coverage at my job. I work 12 hr shifts so i may have to just keep cleaning it until my day off which isnt for a few days. I feel so bad for him he just keeps yowling and looking at me, but he still has energy and appetite so hopefully i can get him in before he gets any worse.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:19:25 AM »
I use contact lens saline its cheaper and has a pretty good stream. I use it on my chickens. I also use a blue liquid i get from the vet for flushing wounds its called novlasan. I just squirt it into the wound.

You cant use a triple antibiotic on cats. One of the ingredients is bad for them. Its difficult to find one that doesnt have all three. I cant remember which one is the bad one. Ive treated smelly infected wounds with just the salve but if its abscessed it doesnt work as well. 

There is an antibiotic shot that works well for tissue infections. That way you arent trying to get meds in an unwilling cat with sharp claws. Lol

I would see if you can get him neutered while you have him. It helps a lot on the fighting and less kittens.

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
Got him into the vet,antibiotic shot was given. A drain tube was placed, the vet took out pieces of what looked like pellets from a pellet gun....grr. He was already neutered. I have been doing trap neuter return.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »
Grrr...  I'm glad you were able to get him in and fixed up!  Hopefully he heals up quickly, and with no complications!

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »
update  on the kitty, he is much better still healing very well but not happy about all the cleanings

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »
I'm glad he's healing up well!  :)  And yeah, the cleanings are never fun...