Author Topic: Advice on cats  (Read 847 times)

Offline SeismicNick

Advice on cats
« on: October 13, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
Ok, so I have had 2 cats since before they were born. I also have 2 rats. These 4 get along perfectly fine and have done so since day 1. Recently, 3 cats have been added via fostering. A mama and 2 kittens. The 2 resident cats are very aggressive towards the new arrivals, even the kittens. At this point, they are barely bigger than the rats. Can anyone explain why the resident cats accepted rats so dismissively, yet are so aggressive towards month old kittens? I perfectly understand why they may have aggression towards an unfamiliar adult cat, but not towards kittens of similar size to rats they willingly accepted.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Advice on cats
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »
Two different species and cats will almost always react to another cat before they care what another animal is doing. Both of my cats ignored my rats, are slightly bothered by my ferrets (my older boy just ignores them now as long as they don't touch him) but when bringing Seacliff into the house, Handsome flipped out. You're bringing actual rivals into their living space and cats will do what they need to (hiss, fight, growl, resource hog) in order to ensure their survival.

Introing between cats always takes time. We did okay after a week but we live in a small 1 bedroom apartment and pressed the boys a little bit since trying to keep one shut in the bathroom frazzled everyone's nerves. I think the recommended time period is at least 2-3 weeks depending on the cats' body language. Jackson Galaxy has a great intro method and that's what we followed and may work out well for you.

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »
Well these are just fosters, I don't know if we plan to keep any. This was more of a satiate my curiousity post. What really surprised me was the aggression towards the kittens considering they barely have motor skills they fully function. They didn't even get a curious sniff, just outright hissing and attempted smacks.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:35:26 PM »
My Murphy was that way with kittens.  He was better with adult cats.  I figure some cats just don't like kids, like some people don't like kids.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline RandyMiller

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:19 AM »
Cats may show aggression towards other cats who hiss or show similar behavior.
Pet Supplies Plus