Author Topic: Male cat not always using litter box  (Read 1095 times)

Offline SeismicNick

Male cat not always using litter box
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:13:52 AM »
Hi, I have a male cat who I thought was cured of his litter box issues, but apparently not. He came from a litter of a mother cat my girlfriend had. His mother would smack at him every time he would try to use the litter box and would therefore urinate elsewhere. He would always poop in the box though. His sister that we also own doesn't have any litter box issues at all as far as we can tell. The problem was made apparent when our brand new shower mat (less than a week old) is absolutely drenched and yellowed underneath by urine stains. Biggest confusing factor, I see him pee in the litter box all the time. In fact, he usually joins me in bathroom activities seeing as one of the litter boxes is in the bathroom. Health wise, he seems perfectly fine. I just don't understand. I also just shampooed the carpet in the bathroom (why someone decided carpet in a bathroom was a good idea, I'll never know.) So if there were any odors he was trying to cover, they should be gone. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really confused.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Male cat not always using litter box
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
Get him to the vet, and have them check both urine and stool.  Litter box avoidance can be caused by discomfort in using the box, which can be caused by both of those things.  And cats are very good at hiding pain from us. And strangely, it doesn't always involve complete litter box avoidance.

After that, has anything changed at the house?  New animals?  New things?  New cleaning products?  New cats outside the house?  Some cats just don't adjust well to change.  Also, check the area where the litter box is for an strange noises or smells that might cause him to get scared away from it. 

There is always a reason for them going outside the box, it just may take some detective work to figure it out.  :)

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »
Well, fresh would obviously be best. Stool is easy enough, how exactly would I get a urine sample...? As far as I know, no cats around the house. Only new things I can think of, a Kirby vacuum. Much louder than a regular vacuum, we did shampoo the carpet, but the smell is by no means unpleasant or harsh, organic formula as well. We have two litter boxes. One in the bathroom, one in the living room. The shower mat was literally five feet away from the bathroom litter box. But also as I stated, this is not a new issue. I'm sure he has been urinating elsewhere, but have just now caught it. I am concerned that even if it is a medical issue, it's almost running two years long. Could the issue persist after that?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
If you take him to the vet and they are unable to get urine, they'll send you home with some plastic beads to put in an empty litter box to get a clean sample. 

What sort of litter boxes are you using?  Covered?  Uncovered?

Another thing is that if he's just overly sensitive, stress might cause him to pee where he shouldn't.  Once medical issues are ruled out, you can check into something like Feliway for him, or kitty Prozac, if the natural stuff isn't enough.  I know someone who's cat just had to go on it because he was just so anxious.  So there are options.

A urinary problem is unlikely to go two years without showing other symptoms, like blood in the urine.  But that doesn't mean you don't want to rule it out anyway.  :)

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »
Both litter boxes are uncovered. What would be some symptoms of cat anxiety? Anxious is the last word I would use to describe him... I can't think of any real reason he would be stressed either. He's basically free to do as he pleases, no litter box competition, both cats have their own food and water bowls, so on. He's incredibly pampered lol.

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
Oh, I found a litter additive that changes colors based on certain urinary problems. Would you say they are effective?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
I have never tried them, so I don't know how effective they are.  The vet test is going to be the most accurate, for sure.

Cat anxiety is a strange thing.  And it manifests in odd ways.  Here is a brief article on it that may help give you some answers.  https://www.vetdepot.com/recognizing-signs-cat-anxiety.html

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »
I'll have to get in touch with the vet and see what kind of money the test will cost. Otherwise, I'll unfortunately have to put it off until work picks up again. You said it's unlikely a urinary issue considering the 2 year time span, but 2 years of anxiety in a pretty stable and uniform living situation sounds odd to me as well... If you happen to come up with anything else, let me know. I'll be updating as I find things out as well.

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
Just remembered one more detail. This was a bigger problem back when we first had the issue. He would also urinate on clothing. Never my clothing though. Just my girlfriend's and only hers. Purses as well. Only things that she wears/carries. The shower mat he soaked was also sitting near her basket of clothes. Does that give you any other possible scenarios?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:24:06 PM by SeismicNick »

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 07:23:16 PM »
She might be making him anxious?  Or something on her clothes does.  Just a thought.  Is she around other animals at all? 

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:33:42 PM »
No, the only other animals she is ever around is her own cat or our rats, both of which are in the same household.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »
If he sees you as his he could be jealous of her and marking her stuff. I had a cat that hated my roommate when I got one. Would sit at the base of the bed and give her The Look. Never understood how people in history could think cats were supernatural until I saw The Look lol.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Tough call there... he's pretty equally responsive (kinda, he's a little slow) and affectionate to us both. He tends to lay on the couch with me and sleep above my head, but he definitely doesn't seem picky... Regardless, it's still a habit I need to break.

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 04:46:25 AM »
Additionally, he still acts very sexually aggressive towards the other cat. He is neutered, the other is spayed, they both got taken care of at the same time as soon as they were old enough. As a whole, I don't know how often the urinating outside the litter box is. I can only assume pretty regularly considering the shower mat. The sexual aggression is pretty regular as well. I really don't know how relevant this is, but I really need help with this. Calling a vet today to see what the possibilities are.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 10:27:56 AM »
Have you tried something like Feliway for him?  It can help with those sorts of behaviors.  And hopefully the vet will have other recommendations, as well.

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
I had actually never heard of it up until you first recommended it. Another bit of info, anything I feel might even be slightly relevant. He really loves her socks. Like... he will actively dig through her clothes to find them, play with them, carry them around, so on. Would that be another anxious behavior or any reason to suspect that she somehow causes some sort of anxiety in him?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »
Not necessarily.  Are her feet stinky?  Cats like stink.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »
I'd have to claim that smelly feet myself, honestly... and I sure don't see them hoarding my socks.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
This popped up in my FB feed today...  Thought it might help give some insight.  :)

http://blog.spiritessences.com/blog/mcfh702-katrina

I highly recommend looking up Jackson Galaxy.  He has a lot of good positive advice for cat owners. 

Offline SeismicNick

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
Interesting stuff for sure. As of now, the bad news is any tests are a little out of financial reach as of right this second. Good news being new job starting soon and I will be able to more efficiently resolve the problem then.

Offline RandyMiller

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 08:07:31 AM »
 Did you take him to the vet?
Pet Supplies Plus