Author Topic: Orphaned Kitten Care  (Read 632 times)

Offline mghemm437

Orphaned Kitten Care
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:01:45 AM »
My roommate and I found a stray kitten last night that looks to be ~5 weeks old. We are caring for it (don't know if it is a he or she yet) until we can either find it another home or have to take it to the shelter, as our landlord does not allow most pets.

So far I have been feeding her warmed milk, softened kitten chow, water, and small bits of roasted chicken. She has not pooped since last night, and her belly is quite round, making me think she has worms. No fleas that I can tell, which is good. She is very sweet, loves cuddles and to be pet. As soon as you start touching her she turns into a purr machine.

Any suggestions on care, feeding, etc? I will hopefully be taking he/she/it to the vet once I get paid this week to see what gender it is, get it treated for worms, and general kitten care.

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Re: Orphaned Kitten Care
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
You should probably try rubbing the kitten's anus with a warm washcloth to help him/her poop. This article will explain it better than I could.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Kitten-Poop

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
Yup.  Might still be young enough to need stimulation, so try that.  Just be prepared.   ;)

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing okay.  :)

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
So I think little kitty was just dehydrated and didnt have enough in her system to poop. She has since pooped several times, and it's sad how excited i was when she did. I am 80% sure it is a girl, as I can't feel any testicles with palpating where the scrotum would be and the genital area is more of a slit than a round hole. She is eating the softened solid food on her own easily, and using the litter box like a pro. She got her nails trimmed yesterday, and we will be taking a trip to the vet today for deworming, check-up, and shots if she is old enough.

So far so good with everything. She is pretty self sufficient, but I can tell when she wants either food, water, to be pet, or needs to go to the bathroom cause she starts getting very vocal. Has no problem hopping up and down stairs, climbing up things, or running around like a spaz. I can't believe anyone would abandon such a sweet kitten!

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 04:49:25 PM »
I'm glad the little kitten is doing well!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:16:48 PM »
Yay!  I'm glad she's doing well.  :)

Offline RandyMiller

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:25:32 AM »
mghemm437, good to hear that your kitten is doing well.
Pet Supplies Plus

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:19:29 AM »
After a visit to the vet, we have determined she is in fact a girl who is roughly 7 weeks old (and making it very difficult to type as she keeps crawling onto the keyboard  :yelcutelaugh: We have named her Meredith, after my roommate and my obsession with Grey's Anatomy. She is skinny and most definitely has worms, but other than that is a happy, healthy kitten. I am falling more and more in love with this little floof every day. She is the most cuddly and funniest cat I have ever been around. Hopefully we'll get the worm situation under control and she'll start gaining some weight!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:21:50 AM by mghemm437 »

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:02 PM »
Hooray!  Worms are pretty easy to treat, thankfully.  :)  Hopefully she'll be feeling right as rain again soon!

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
So update on my little stray:

I have worked things out and am now keeping her. She is a rambunctious, sweet girl who I have named Meredith. FELV/FIV negative (Thank goodness), and getting her regular shots. She is absolutely spoiled rotten with all the toys she could ever want, and wet food for dinner every night.

She is still suckling on herself, but less and less. I'm hoping she eventually grows out of it completely, but it wouldn't be unheard of for her to continue the behavior through adulthood. So excited this precious girl is mine and excited to introduce her to my parents in a few weeks.