Author Topic: Construction work in a house with pet rats. Do i need to move them out??  (Read 156 times)

Offline Nysander

Hey guys, so our house recently had a pipe burst downstairs and flooded most of our downstairs level. Today contractors came in to tear up the affected floors and dry them out and replace them.
They taped off the work area with plastic to keep it contained and they didn't seem to think that we or our pets would need to move out while they worked.

Well they've been working most of the day and i just came out of my room upstairs and noticed the air smells somehow wet and dusty at the same time.

My rats live in the room next to mine upstairs ( the very farthest room away from the construction) but their door had not been closed like mine all day and now I am afraid that this air might be bad for them.

I don't really have any better options to move them to as we were not planning on moving out for the construction and I had thought they would be far away from the action.

Should i come up with something fast or do you think they will be ok? I closed their door as soon as I noticed but this project will obviously last a while and has just begun.
We are installing floating floors so there should be very little to none VOCs but now that I think of it they might use glue to put down underlayment...

Im just worried for their little tiny selves breathing in anything weird.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Construction work in a house with pet rats. Do i need to move them out??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:17:58 PM »
I once had my kitchen walls painted with my rats in the same room (living room). I cracked open the windows for maybe 8 hours or so and there was no problem, not even some sneezing. Keep the door closed. If you crack open the windows, make sure there is no air draft and add small heater in the room.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »
I know the concern.  I had a leak from the upstairs neighbors' bathtub that came through the ceiling near the rat cage.  While the workman sanded and repainted, I moved the rats into a temporary cage in the bathroom (my apartment is a studio) and covered the DCN with a tarp.  I also tried to vacuum up as much plaster dust as possible before uncovering the cage and returning the rats.  It seemed to work; I never noticed any problems.

Another suggestion besides those already posted is that you could tape a sheet of plastic over the rat-room door to help keep out dust.  It won't be perfect (construction dust can get through everything), but it will help a lot.  The real risk, to my mind, is not so much dust and the like is the volatile aromatic compounds from solvents and paint.  I suspect, however, that since the work is downstairs and the rats are upstairs, they will probably be fine.  Still, if you're really concerned by the strength of the odor, take them out for a few hours during the repainting (keeping the rat room shut up, naturally) and they'll be safe from the worst of it.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  4m0f15r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Nysander

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:48:11 AM »
Thank you guys!

I ended up asking around to family members and ultimately moving them to my grandmothers house until the renovations are done.

Maybe im an overprotective rat mom but the dust and musty smells kind of get to ME ( giving me a tickle in my throat and occasional cough, as well as a slight burning sensation, plus just the fact that it's stinky) so I just didn't feel right putting the boys through that knowing that they are MUCH more sensitive than me.

Especially since this work is likely to go on for 2+ weeks. ( they are tearing out the floors, drying them out, replumbing, and laying new vinyl plank flooring)

Also I recently learned that as a part of the process they are going to spray mildewicide before putting the new floor in. So we are probably going to move out ourselves for a couple of days to avoid those chemicals and I certainly wouldn't want the rats around that.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

The boys are a little peeved at the move but they are doing fine so far over at my grandmothers. I've been going over there to visit and clean and make sure they are taken care of daily. And my eldest ( who really hates any changes to HIS space) pouted a bit, but we let him free range explore my grandmothers house ( after rat proofing) so that cheered him up a bit. ^^

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
+Nysander  So glad things worked out!  If the airborne stuff was bothering you, it was definitely a good idea to get the rats out of there for the duration.  Hope it doesn't take too long, and that the boys are back home in no time!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  4m0f15r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n