Author Topic: Embarassing Ragdoll Hygiene Question  (Read 818 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Embarassing Ragdoll Hygiene Question
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
Our Ragdoll Mei-Mei, approaching two years old, is a little tank. A solid boxy Tribble on four short legs with a short furry tail. I have worried about her weight, but the vet has been very pleased with her weight. No dangling dulap, just solid solid solid.

Well, the downside is that she can't reach her butt to clean herself. Her buddy, our aging Maine Coon tries to help her but she doesn't like to sit still for it. Although her stools are normal and solid little chunks, somehow she always has a layer of stool around her little anus. When she has any hair at all, sometimes she gets enough stool caught that it blocks her and the urine makes her sore until we get her washed.

Any ideas on how to deal with this and keep her clean? My current plan is to not use clippers but actually use a armpit-type shaver and give her back legs, tail and entire backside a surgical shave. She will be UNIMPRESSED. Think this will help? I don't know if there is something I can then put on her backside to keep stuff from clinging, or anything I can use to wipe her down to keep her clean.

I have had longhairs with danglies before that needed help, but they could reach their butts to finish up if you could help them deal with what's stuck from time to time? Anybody else struggle with this? Any ideas?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Embarassing Ragdoll Hygiene Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Our vet will shave them back there. She calls it a "potty trail" I believe, Our kitty also had a hard time cleaning herself back there. Shaving helps a lot.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »
Yup, shaving is probable the best option.  She will be unimpressed, but she'll get over it.  :)

Offline kuraiuncia

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
Sounds like shaving would be the best option. The only other thing I could suggest is pet wipes. They're just like baby wipes. Heck you might even be able to use a certain brand of baby wipe, just check the ingredients for anything toxic to kitties.

When my Daniel was first diagnosed with diabetes he would get 'litter booties' on his feet because he was peeing so much and would step right in it. I happened to get a box of natural bamboo pet wipes in a surprise subscription box, don't ask me the brand it's been way too long, and it definitely made cleaning his piddled paws easier. Not that it made him enjoy it one little bit.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:07:29 AM »
She's shaved, using pet wipes etc.

How do you tell if your cat is fat? Yes, she's from a boxy breed but in my view a cat should be able to wash its butt. Is that just me?

I don't want to diet her on my own. I had a neutered Maine Coon I dieted with vet assistance but we still lost him very suddenly to fatty liver syndrome. It was horrible.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
Yeah, dieting cats can be very tricky.  Does she like to play?  You might incorporate more active play into her day, and see if that helps her trim down and limber up.

Some cats are just lazy about grooming, though.  She might be able to reach just fine, and not want to bother.  Have you seen her trying and being unable to groom? 

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »
Yeah, she can't reach. She rocks like a scary, bottom-balanced clown-painted bowling pin I remember from elementary school and doesn't even approach "the region." I like the more play idea. She's four but kind of an eternal kitten. Believe it or not she also loves to jump, so I may clear and add some more jumping surfaces (not always readily available in a pile-intensive household like ours).

Thanks for the help!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:11 PM »
Try getting her to move more. 

What are you feeding her?  A switch to more protein in the form of canned foods might be beneficial for her, as well.  See if you can get her to slim down a bit that way.  Just remember that you want it to happen as slow as possible.  :)

Good luck!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
She eats the same, no-grain premium food that keeps the old Maine Coon from barfing. Free Choice. Steve remembered something and today played laser light chase with her.
--Best, Mountaintop--