Author Topic: Sugar Gliders are expensive to take care of?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Whaturmuva

• http://simplyhomemade.org/
Sugar Gliders are expensive to take care of?
« on: January 04, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »
I'm not sure why it's such a popular notion that sugar gliders are expensive to care for? Ours cost at most 15 dollars a month to feed. Fresh fruits and veggies from the produce market, the pricilla price diet is cheap to make, and the mealworms cost next to nothing.

Is this just a tactic to scare people off? Now they are a huge responsibility and a lot of work, but not cost wise whatsoever.

Offline Hammocks and Hideouts

• The Little Red Ladybug
Re: Sugar Gliders are expensive to take care of?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
My good friend has 4 sugar gliders (I too use to have 4) and we both spend/spent well over $50.00 a month on our gliders. Fresh fruits, fresh veggies, yogurt, bee pollen, worms, bedding, wheels, etc. It all adds up and does become very expensive. I would not consider these pets to be much different in price compared to a rat, cat, dog, rabbit, etc on a healthy diet.
Aimee @ www.TheLittleRedLadyBug.com
Quality Cage Sets and more!
Serving the exotic pet community safe affordable  bedding since 2005!

Offline Whaturmuva

• http://simplyhomemade.org/
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Now that I've had the girls for over 6 months now I'm seeing that they cost pennies to take care of. The most expensive part seems to be the heating bills as they need to be kept at a temperature much warmer than most of the house. But a little space heater does the trick.

Offline ghosttraps

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
Feeding them is fairly cheap for us as well, as we always get a full cart of fruits and veggies anyway.
The expensive side to them is in the start-up, vet care, and toys, if you're not thrifty or or crafty.
I think it's got an element of the scare tactic, because so many people get gliders and then give them some pellet crud and a few hamster toys and call it done, and then freak out because their glider is sick and needs $200+ of vet care.

Offline Clairity95

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
I know personally, cost is part of why I'm not planning on getting gliders until I'm older. Honestly, rats, which is what I'm sticking with while I'm still in school, seem to not be that much more expensive. If there are scare tactics with gliders (or even just reasonable warnings) I'd think it would be the diet, cage size, life span, and that it's supposed to be difficult to move with them.

I don't think it'll be as bad as a lot of people say but I'm still waiting until AFTER vet school to get gliders (even though I have a glider tattoo).