Author Topic: White film in guinea pig's eyes  (Read 1268 times)

Offline notsaying

White film in guinea pig's eyes
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:22:17 PM »
Penny has had the beginnings of what looked like diarrhea so I planned to stop feeding her vegetables for a a couple days. Then today I noticed that she looked miserable. She a white milky liquid coming out her eyes. I just noticed she lost weight and she has been moving even less than normal. Also she has not been eating a lot. I am really worried. I am going to give her a little bit of vegetables and clean her cage. Does anyone have an idea of what's up with her.

Offline notsaying

Re: White film in guinea pig's eyes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »
Never mind. It was so much worse than I thought  it was I should have taken her to bet earlier but I cannot drive. Now she is gone

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »
I'm so sorry...

The milky liquid from the eyes is totally normal. Its a liquid they secrete when grooming and helps lubricate the eyes.

I dont know what could have happened but Im so sorry for your loss. You can freeze her body and have a vet do a necropsy if that is something youd like to have done to get any insight into what happened.

As an aside, I noticed you said she hasnt been eating a lot. If a guinea pig ever stops eating you will have to force feed or they can die. Thats why they should have hay 24/7 -dont ever let it run out. keep topping it off as they eat it and it gets low. Their tummies are constantly going and if there is no food in there they can go down hill quickly and possibly die. Their diet should be 80% hay.

Sending good thoughts.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline notsaying

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »
Thank you.. She had stopped eating pellets before, so I did not think anything of it till it was too late.