Author Topic: Gerbil and Mice Information  (Read 1506 times)

Offline notsaying

Gerbil and Mice Information
« on: August 22, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
Hi again. I didn't expect be in this site so soon after Penny died but then my roommate began to talk about keeping either some gerbils or mice. I was wondering of you guys could information or helpful links. I know little about mice but I really want to make sure that this animal or these animals.  Any information would be great. Thank you!!!!!!!

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Gerbil and Mice Information
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:39:04 PM »
I dont know anything about gerbils except they need deep deep DEEP bedding to burrow in. So I can only comment on mice. :)

Sign up at thefunmouse forum and check out the threads of information they have there and also browse the information the have on their main site. There is a lot, so I'll just briefly list some of the more important or basic info that I can remember on mice here. But definitely check out that website. And if you participate in their forums, take what some of them have to say with a grain of salt. They care A LOT about mice and can come across a bit ...strong... So just take the info from their site and run with it because it is good info.

-Male mice should not be kept together. They will fight -even when neutered they are very likely to maim each other. They keep them together at the pet store, but once they reach a certain age, or once you bring home just 2 or 3 they will start to fight for territory/dominance and can kill each other. You can neuter a healthy young mouse with an experienced vet (it is more risky of an operation than rats or other larger animals) if you want him to live with females.

-Male mice have more oder to them. In fact they have more oder than a male rat I have heard. But its not horrible. Especially if you change the cage often.

-Female mice should be kept in groups of 3. They have hierarchy that does best in three. Otherwise if you only get 2 one *may* become overly dominate to the point of bullying.  And like with rats, you should never have just 1 as they are very social.

-Diet: Its recommended to get them a seed/grain mix from the store to keep them happy foraging. Crude protein should not go above 13% or they could get "hot spots" which are irritated spots on their skin. They can lose fur, become itchy and it will be very uncomfortable for them. They recommend Brown's Tropical Carnival Hamster and Gerbil mix (not the one for mice because the protein is actually too high), or a high quality parakeet/cockatiel mix, like Sunseed VitaCraft or Healthy Select Parakeet Diet.

-A 10 gallon tank is the smallest housing for 1 mouse, but you can keep up to 3 mice in a 10 gallon. I, personally, would go bigger if you can though. A 20 gallon long is excellent for 1-5 mice.

-Like with every other small animal, dont use cedar, pine, other soft woods. The only wood bedding thats considered safe is aspen. However, (I and) Many others recommend paper bedding over wood -such as Carefresh or the brand from Petsmart called "All Living Things" (I personally use All Living Things because I think its less dusty).

-They should have wheels as most mice love them. 6" wheels are the smallest size you should go for an adult mouse.

-Mice can be super active and need lots of stimulation so stuff their cage with tons of toys, climbing things, toilet paper tubes, and houses. Lots of people make climbing platforms and stuff out of popsicle sticks and non toxic hot glue or Elmers kids glue. They also like fleece hammocks!

-Mice can be seen by vets (and should be!). A lot of people dont know this. Some think they are too small to be seen by vets, but goldfish can even be seen by vets, so mice definitely can! Always take your mouse to the vet if you notice anything off with them. They are very delicate. Like rats they can easily get respiratory illnesses and tumors. Plus a plethora of other things can go wrong with them. So make sure you have a vet who is good with mice before you get any.

Thats all I can think of right now. If I remember anything else I'll come back and add to it. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:42:06 PM by Kitsch Slapped »
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline notsaying

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 08:51:03 AM »
Wow. That is super helpful. Thank you!

Offline notsaying

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
All this is Making me think I should find a new rodent friend. Maybe a pair of rats? I don't know where I would get them. They don't end up on near by shelters and the nearest beset I know of is a ways away and I would have to find a ride. Maybe Craigslist? :)

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:45:38 AM »
Rats are quite a lot like mice. If I may ask, what is making you change your mind?

Offline notsaying

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:44 AM »
Oh. See my roommate wants mice or gerbils. I being a control freak, I wanted to make sure that my was informed about what she was getting into and that I knew enough to help  out as need be. Anyways back to rats, a year ago before I got Penny I began to look into getting rats. All my roommate'a talk of bringing new rodents into the house are making me want to get some rodents of my own. Hope that makes sense.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Ooooh okay I get it now. :)

If you decide to get any rodents, even something your roommate doesn't have like she has mice and you get rats, remember to quarantine. Mice and rats can pass some illnesses to each other. I'm not 100% sure on gerbils, but better safe than sorry. mice make great companions as do rats. I'd recommend mice if you don't have a lot of space since they need a bigger cage.

Offline notsaying

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »
Good tip thanks! I think I may have found some rats. They are on Craigslist and they did come from Petco but hey at least I won't have bought them directly from the pet store. (I do understand that they may have health problems a due to this) Well I am talking to my roommates tonight. Wish me luck. :) (fingers crossed!!!)

Edit and then edit agin- lack of proof reading :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:57:42 PM by notsaying »

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »
Good luck! A lot of my rescues were from people who got them from pet stores. In fact a couple still came in the petco cardboard carrier from other people so that was a big hint as to where they originally got them lol. Be sure to join in on the rat threads in the rat section of this forum. Lots of informative people there. Good luck!

Offline notsaying

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Update:
The roommates who did not want rats are coming to terms with the idea. The roommate who wanted a mouse and I are considering each owning a rat and the rats living together so we would each have our own pet but at the same time, share a pets. I contacted the person off craigslist and got a reply. Then I sent another email saying I was very interested and began to discuss pick up. A day later, I realized I had sent the email to the wrong address! I sent it to the right address and am now waiting, hoping that I have not missed my chance.