Author Topic: male mice  (Read 961 times)

Offline Chasiti40

male mice
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
can i keep 2 male mice in same cage
Love my ratties

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: male mice
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:03:28 PM »
In the USA male mice are not tolerant to other male mice. If you were to put two together, they will very likely fight and end up seriously getting hurt, or worse. If you're across the pond, the male mice bred over there can usually be kept together. But male mice in the USA have not been bred the same way and it's not recommended to try and place two together. Female mice do well in groups of 3 though. So if you'd like more than one in the same cage you should consider getting females instead.

I have 3 males. They all live happily each in their own 29 gallon tank.  :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »
Some people have success with keeping brothers together who have lived together their whole lives, but even that can be iffy. As a general rule of thumb, in the US, no: they cannot be kept together.
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017

Offline lynn117

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:44:08 PM »
my boys are separated. their previous owners had them together since they are brothers but there was a huge brawl where they tried to kill each other. one was so stressed that even after they were moved to their own cages he pulls out all the fur on his back and haunches. he even gets scabs. he is a sweet boy but was considered unadoptable because of his back upper half being bald. they both seem happy as solos as long as they have toys and a wheel. my three girls love being together and sleep in a mouse pile every night.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:54:09 AM »
Lynn, have you tried treating him for mites? I would think your other mice would be itchy as well if it were mites, but maybe not? Also it might be an allergy. You could try changing his bedding and his food. Im actually dealing with the same thing. I have a male who scratches constantly his poor eye and ear are a mess. He's been treated for mites twice. Ive since tried switching his bedding and food. Not sure if the latest tries are working yet but we'll see. Theres also the possibility of what some call OCD. Im hoping thats not it because its a very hard habit to break that takes a lot of time and dedication and it may not even work. Just some suggestions. You may have already known so I apologize if Im repeating ideas. Good luck with your little guy.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats