Author Topic: Question  (Read 138 times)

Offline Maggie2700

Question
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
I was not thrilled with the breeder I got my ratties from. The set up was alright but there were way too many rats per cage. Her boys do seem to be socialized a bit.  The real problem I had with them was that they had a pair of "rescue rats," who are adorable and well socialized and super sweet, together in a smaller cage. I immediately was interested in them but learned that the two eight week old babies were boy and girl. I know female rats can get pregnant as soon as 5 weeks old but I couldn't not ask to take them home. My question is this. I want to get her spayed but my vet won't do the procedure until she is three months old. Is it better for me to keep her as a lone rat until then or allow I don't think she is pregnant but I could always be wrong. If she is pregnant, what should I do?
Rattie mom of Moose, Sterling, Teddy, Ducky and Pippa!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »
While it's not likely that rats that young will reproduce, it is certainly possible, so you want to keep your girl separated from any intact males until you can get her spayed.  If she is pregnant already, perhaps your veterinarian would consider an emergency spay, since to give birth at such a young age would not be not healthy for her.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Maggie2700

Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »
Okay  :thumbsup2: Thank you bigben
Rattie mom of Moose, Sterling, Teddy, Ducky and Pippa!