Author Topic: Should i consider this bunny abandoned?  (Read 5138 times)

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
Should i consider this bunny abandoned?
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
Okay, my sister asked me a week ago if i would watch their rabbit for one night because their landlord was doing inspections, and i said yes. Well that 1 day has turned into a week and 2 days.. I love rabbits but i dont like the fact that their taking advantage of me with it. I have asked them numerous times to come get it. How long does the rabbit have to be in my care before i have the right to rehome it?  Or how should i resolve this issue, without upsetting her and without me getting walked on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Should i consider this bunny abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
I would honestly ask her out-right if she wants the bun back or if you can adopt it (or adopt it out if you aren't looking to own a bun).

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
I have asked her if she even wanted the rabbit back, she said yes, but they arent making a move to get it.
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »

Call her up and ask her if she still wants the rabbit, and if so, what day is best for her to pick the rabbit up.   You can suggest days that work for you, and get her to commit to a day/time.

I'm a bit weirded out that she'd leave her pet with someone and not come get it.  Are you sure she wants it?   :eek:

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Go drop the bunny off at her place.

Quite honestly though... she isn't supposed to have a bunny at that place right? Not a good thing... How old is your sister?

Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline rlynn1025

• rawr! >;3
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
Honestly I think if she really cared about it she would have it back by now and you wouldn't be in this situation. Poor little bunny ): I agree with the others, just ask if you should adopt it out if you don't want it. :)
"Son, life just ain't that hard."

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »
She finally did come back for it but she doesnt like how her bf and his friends are treating it so she is going to take it to our moms house and keep it there. She said she found out that one of his buddies stuck him in the freezer and said that somebody told her that they had duct taped him to the wall, I was furious when i found this out. She said she chewed them all out over it and said she is taking the rabbit, but she hasnt yet

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
That's horrid. I can't even imagine doing that to a poor little bunny, :( so sad.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »
I know its just awful :( it really upsets me and i hope she takes it to moms real soon. I know one thing she definately wont be getting her dog back from me hes the big American Bulldogg, who is mine now since she decided to stop caring for him.

Offline LittlePaws

• Posts Too Much!
    • Little Paws Rat Rescue
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
If she still hasn't taken the rabbit to your mother's or to a place where it will be taken care of properly I would report both her and her boyfriend/friends for animal cruelty. Her boyfriend for the participating in it and her for allowing it to happen. That is absolutely appalling and I am disgusted.

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »
I think im going to go pick him up and take him to my mothers house tomorrow after work. Even if i was to report them nothing would be done about it here, Ive reported several animal cruelty incidents in this town and nothing has ever been done about it. We dont even have an animal control here.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »
Good for you! I"m sure bunny will appreciate it very much. Unbelieveable!

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
....and she stays with this boyfriend WHY?
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
If she decided to stop caring for the dog before now, I don't understand why they would get a rabbit after that.
If you're not going to care for animals, and do it properly there is no point in getting them. There is no reason you should get an animal you don't really want to care for, especially if it's just going to be abused so horribly like that.
This actually upsets me a lot. Rabbits are so innocent, even the hormonally vicious ones are nicer than most angry animals.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
She said her bf's mom "found" the bunny running loose and thought my neice would want it so the bf decided to keep it at his house. I told my sister a million times to just take the rabbit home to moms before something happens to it. I knew her bf before they started dating and he is trouble. But she dont listen and now she is starting to see things about him that she dont like but she wont leave him. she thinks taking the rabbit elsewhere will remedy the problem, but if he can do that to a bunny, just think what he would do to a little girl... I end up with my neice like almost every other night because she doesnt like to go with her mommy over to her bfs..
 Anyways im going to help sis set up a bunny safe area at moms for him, I would take him back but when i had him for that week my rats kinda got a little ill and had to be put on antibiotic.
Yeah about the dog she quit caring for, her and her ex had got him and she decided the dog was too big of a hassle and just quit messing with him. Im the one who has bought the dogfood for him since she had him for the past 3 yrs :( I even took him to the vet fot neuter and vaccinations, i buy everything for him... So he is mine, thats probably how it will be with the bunny, But it can live at my moms which is down the road from my house.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
Your poor sister and niece. No one should have to worry about what's going to happen to their children when they want to see their boyfriend. Scary situation to be in.
At least you're getting that rabbit out of there. Best of luck with him.
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:51:30 PM »
@Starla--since the boy has admitted to abusing the bunny already, you have a moral duty to prevent its being taken back into a situation where it is certainly going to be abused again.  Confiscate the rabbit from your sister, and do what you need to do to see that it is properly cared for.

Furthermore, if your niece is scared to go to that boy's house (he is an immature boy, not a man, from the sound of things), keep an eye on the situation, and if you learn anything you can present to the authorities, call Child Protective Services right away.  Perhaps they will listen, if the animal people will not.

It is clear from what you report that that boy is too immature to be around animals or children without adult supervision, or to be in an adult relationship with another person, for that matter.  It's too bad that there's no one around to take him in hand and teach him how to be a real, grown-up man.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 08:14:17 AM »
In a FREEZER???? Taped to a wall when they are so scared of heights??? What horrible suffering. I'm sick.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
This thread is from 2012, I'm hoping this has already been resolved... :-\

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
2012?  How did it show up as an active thread, then?  Or did I do something stupid while being completely unconscious of doing it . . . ?  I don't normally check dates; if it shows up on the screen I assume it's current.

Since I appear to be the culprit in resurrecting this old thread, my apologies to all, and let's let it die again.

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »
There was an account posting random spam-type messages in various threads, including this one. It appears to have been removed. You must have just overlooked it when you replied. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:26:02 PM by GhostMouse »

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 06:55:42 AM »
Well, that makes sense, then.  Thanks!