Author Topic: HELP! My sister got a bunny! D:  (Read 9846 times)

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
HELP! My sister got a bunny! D:
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
So... my sister got another pet... this time it's a bunny... and she didn't buy a cage for it so she's using my Martin's 680... which was supposed to be for my rats... UGH!
Anyone know what kind of bunny it is and it's cage requirements? :(

Offline Rascalcat23

Re: HELP! My sister got a bunny! D:
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »
Now keep in mind that I've never had a bunny, but I can say that's definitely not the worst cage I've ever seen one in. Have you seen the My First Home cages? Those look so small the bunny has almost no room to move around. Again, this is coming from someone who has never had a rabbit, but I don't think the cage is overly terrible.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
It's not the cage, it just the fact that she took one of my cages that I was going to use for my new arrivals because she didn't buy one. :/

Would the jumbo size of this cage be okay? [link]

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
I couldn't find a cage calculator, but here's a wiki article with some criteria.
http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Rabbit-Cage

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »
Puppy playpens also make affordable cages. :) All you need to get is some kind of flooring(most people use 'fake grass' mats from Walmart which can just be hosed down when dirty, with a litter box of course) and you have a large cage in which the bun can play freely. :)

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
Okay, thanks guys! I'm really freaking out right now because I always end up taking care of her pets because she doesn't. :doh:

What kind of bunny is she and how big will she get? (I figured out it's a girl)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »
I'm no bun expert - Jessica'sZooCrew knows her bun stuff, hopefully she'll chime in. Do you have any idea how old she is?

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I have no clue how old she is, probably really young. :-\

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
She would probably be eternally grateful if you could find her a box or something big enough for her to hide in.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
I made her one, but it doesn't fit in the cage. :doh:
http://notmybunny.tumblr.com/post/19752981103/chillin-in-a-box-with-holes-cut-out

I'll have to look for a smaller one that she'll fit in.

Offline listentotheraine

• Sara E. Martin's Illustrations
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
She does look very young, maybe 8-10 weeks. Her markings are that of a dutch - I would say she may get to 5 or 6 pounds, although I have a dutch who is closer to 8 pounds. Also, if you can, get her to a vet for a checkup and a confirmation of the sex - baby rabbits can be EXTREMELY difficult to sex even if you know what you're looking for,  I know of vets who have made mistakes! Either way, when she grows up a bit (6-9 months) you'll want to get her fixed - female rabbits have a very, very high cancer rate when they are unfixed, and litter box training will be much easier. If it happens to be a boy, they will spray urine to mark like male cats when unfixed.

She certainly won't fit in that rat cage for very long! The basic setup is right, and I second this.
Puppy playpens also make affordable cages. :) All you need to get is some kind of flooring(most people use 'fake grass' mats from Walmart which can just be hosed down when dirty, with a litter box of course) and you have a large cage in which the bun can play freely. :)

I have my rabbits in a dog playpen. I put a piece of sheet linoleum flooring (from home depot) underneath to keep the floors clean in case of any accidents, and it's super easy to clean, spray with vinegar and you're good to go. She should also have a hidey box in there - doesn't have to be anything special, mine love cardboard boxes. I make one little hole for them and by the end of the week they enlarge it and make their own openings.

Rabbits also need access to hay at all times - I see you have some in the litterbox which is perfect since they like to eat while they poop :)

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
@listentotheraine: Thanks so much for all the info! I'll make sure to tell my sister all this. :)

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:46:54 AM »
Also, if you could switch which side of the cage the litter box is on, you could probably fit the largest sized igloo in there for her on the side of the litter box. :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Midwest-Pets-Exercise-Pen-with-Door-in-Black-Finish/14042432

This is an inexpensive playpen that could comfortably house the bun. :) For a cage the same size it would be soooooooo much more. I don't know which height you would want, as I don't keep buns myself, just like lurking in the bun forum, but they do all have free shipping, which is pretty sweet.  My store keeps one in the back with the crates, and they seem pretty sturdy.

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 11:53:36 AM »
Would it be okay if I get the jumbo size of this cage plus a pen until she gets bigger? And is it okay if I line the cage with fleece? I think I'm going to get her spayed at 5 months, will that be too young? I was told by someone else that spaying at 4-6 months is ideal.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »
If you get a pen, you really don't need to go to the expense of a cage, unless you want to for some reason or need something to transport the bun. I'll post some pictures later - I'm the one that started the puppy pen and grass rug thing. The set up I have now, I'm just using the bottom part of the cage to hold the litter box and hay, and they have a hidey house in the pen. I could have done the same thing with a much cheaper plastic tub.

As for the height of the pen, 24" works fine for me but it depends on whether you have an escape artist, I guess. Mine don't even try.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
The problem is that we don't have the room to keep her in a pen all the time. I was planning on getting her a big cage and then put a pen around it with the cage door open for 2-4 hours a day. But now I'm wondering if she'll have enough room to enjoy herself when she doesn't have the pen. :-\

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
Okay, I hear ya, but here's the thing... The pen is 8 - 24" panels that can be folded up. By overlapping a couple of panels, you could make a smaller pen, which would be just about the size of that jumbo cage (1 panel wide by 2 panels long would be 24" x 48"), then you could open it up to a full 4 foot by 4 foot or whatever for your 2-4 hours and give her more space for some binking time. A cage and a playpen all in one, and all for around $45.

I'll post a few pics when I get home tonight - it's easier to see what I mean than to explain it here. The puppy pen would get you much more bang for your buck, with many more ways to set it up than any cage you could buy- and I say that after having bought several and ending up using none.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
I didn't think of that! :doh:
Can't wait to see pictures. :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
Here's my original set up, where I had the cage in the pen.

If you look real close at the right near corner, you can see this is held together with snap clips, (like the kind on a dog lead). All the other panels are held together with C clamps which can easily be removed and replaced with more snap clips so you can use as many or few of these panels as you want to.

Here's what I have now - this is two pens put together, since my bro boys don't play nice in the same space since being neutered. Instead of having each one in a 4x4 square with two sides together, I opened it up to 5 panels across the front and back, with 2 on each end and in the middle, giving them a 10 foot by 4 foot space.

I've taken the top part off the cages because I really don't need them. This is what I mean by you can just get a shallow tub for hay and litter box, no need to spend mega money on a cage - they're already in one.

Here's another set up I tried, where I didn't use all the panels, (some are folded up at the side), and I had a door in between the two.

Possibilites are endless with these pens. Sweet Nightmare posted a link earlier to the one I have, and there's one on Amazon - same thing, Midwest, but no door - for about $36.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
Okay, thanks! I'll show these pictures to my sister. Hopefully she gets a pen. :)

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
According to HRS, rabbits need 8 square feet to live in and 24 square feet for play time, however, the cages I have for my show rabbits are 7.5 square feet (36x30) and my rabbits are perfectly happy.

Your girl could be a dutch/dutch mix. If she is a dutch, 3.5-5.5lbs with 4.5 being the average. However, if she's a mix who knows.. I had a dutch mix that was 8lbs.

A couple tidbits on rabbits -

1. They live a long time. With rats, you are making a 2-3 year commitment. With rabbits you are making an 8-10 year commitment at the minimum (my oldest lived to be 12).

2. They usually do well in pairs. Both rabbits should be spayed/neutered and it's best to find someone that knows how to bond rabbits help you.

3. HAY HAY HAY. I have 13 rabbits  and go through a bale and a half a month. Oxbow is a good feed, the timothy based option. Introduce fruits and veggies slowly. Leafy greens are the best (NO ICEBERG LETTUCE). Go minimal with carrots and fruit. My guys love parsley, dandelions (before they turn white), clover, cucumbers, banana, and other herbs. Have something in the cage for bunny to chew on (I use apple branches). Bunnys need toys, bird and cat toys, empty tp rolls stuffed with hay, anything you can stuff cheerios in (another favored treat), etc. One of my fosters, bunny, has a small stuffed toy aimed at small dogs. She will actually cuddle with it and carries it around it her mouth, we call it her beebee.

4. Time. The more you spend with them the better.

Have fun with your new bunny! :)
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
My sister said she prefers the cage I linked. :doh: (but I think it's pretty close to the 8 square feet)
We're feeding her Oxbow for young rabbits and oxbow alfalfa hay, is that okay for now?
I don't know how soon we would be able to get another rabbit. :-\

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
If you are talking about the jumbo cage, it's not quite 8 sq feet (48x2 would be 8 sq feet so it's pretty close). It should work ok, just make sure bunny gets lots of out of cage time :)
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
Okay, I'll make sure to take her out a lot. I'll get my older niece to help too. Thanks! :)

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »
Does her companion have to be another Dutch bunny or can she be smaller?