Author Topic: HELP! My sister got a bunny! D:  (Read 9830 times)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
Re: HELP! My sister got a bunny! D:
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
I don't think it matters what breed, as long as they get along.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
Does her companion have to be another Dutch bunny or can she be smaller?

Nope! The companion can be any breed. Check out rabbitsonline.net for lots of info! I've seen Flemish Giants with much smaller breeds in a bonded pair.  :yelcutelaugh: We had a Dutch and a Flemmy mix when I was really young, and they did good together! Having the bunny altered helps tremendously in bonding and gets rid of the spraying, too. Lots of rabbit rescues will let you bring your bunny in for bunny "dates" to see if they're a match, as well. And many will take the bunny back if they end up refusing to bond (Like people, some rabbits just don't like each other.)

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »
Okay, thanks guys! It'll be easier to convince my dad to let us get a smaller bunny than another big one. :)

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
What I'm afraid of in this situation is that a cage that small, with an unspayed/un-neutered rabbit, there is a high likelihood of rabbit misbehaving. Rabbits need a lot of outside time, and most of our regular lives don't allow them what they need.

This exercise pen would take about as much floor space as that cage (which is really more of a guinea pig cage): http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=872
2 bunnies equal twice as much space..

It would be very much worthwhile for your sister to peruse House Rabbit Society's website about
house bunnies; http://www.rabbit.org/care/new-bunny-index.html
She'll get a lot of information that she is looking for there.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
Is this one too small/low? [link]

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
Is this one too small/low? [link]

Nope, that would do just fine. :) My pens are lower yet - 24" - and I've never had a problem with them trying to come over the top, even with houses or cages in there for them to get up on.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
Okay, I offered to buy the pen for her so the bun will be in that. Should I put linoleum on the floor to protect it?
She isn't litter trained, unfortunately. How should I go about litter training her?
I'm sure there are more questions I'm not thinking of. >n<

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »
Linoleum will work, so will an indoor/outdoor carpet like you can get at Walmart or some discount stores. I got a fake grass mat from WM online for less than $20 and put a shower curtain liner underneath.

They will litter train themselves basically - rabbits usually want to go in the same spot all the time. Put the litter box where you see her going, then put whatever is outside the litter box in the box - won't be long until she gets the idea. A handful of hay in the box will help, too - they poo while eating.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »
Okay, I just ordered it! I think we'll start it as a 2' X 4' then see if we can go to 4' X 4' when we make more space. :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
Great! Be sure to post some pics of your set up, I'd love to see how it turns out.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »
Okay, the pen got here, but I think she can fit her head through the bars... :doh:

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
Really?!? Did you get the Midwest? Bar spacing on mine is 1.5 inches and mine couldn't fit their heads through even when they were little.

It won't be safe if she can, though. You said earlier you were going to start with a smaller configuration - could you double up the panels and overlap them just a bit so the openings are only half as wide?

Barring that, I used a clear plastic carpet runner around the bottom edge of mine for awhile until the worst the the poo-flingin' hormone storm was over with my guys. I cut it in about 8" strips and attached it with binder clips. They did chew on it and I had to buy a couple before I was done, but it worked and only cost about $5. You could leave yours uncut - they're about 24" wide or so - and clip it to the inside of the bars. If she didn't instantly chew through it, it might get you through until she gets big enough. Even cardboard would work, but you may have to keep replacing it for awhile if she chews.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »
Yup the Midwest one, just measured it and it's 1.5", but yea she can fit her head through (now I'm wondering just how young she really is >.<). I can't overlap the panels without taking them apart (they have some kind of ring things around them holding them together). I think I'll have to do the cardboard thing. :/

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:05 PM »
Those rings will come off with a pair of pliers, but there's no getting them back on. I use snap clips (like the ones on it already) to hold panels together after I've taken the rings off but I bet you could use big binder clips, too, or even zip ties.

I'm so sorry, I feel like a jerk for advising the pen, but I sure didn't think she was that tiny, wow. I keep looking at mine and trying to imagine a little head going through... One tiny bunlette. If it turns out she's only a few months old, she will grow fast and hopefully you won't have to do cardboard for very long.

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
It's okay, I would've ordered the pen sooner or later. But yea, she is getting bigger, she's bigger than when I first posted this topic, so hopefully she'll keep growing this fast! I've already started cutting up the box it came in and some other boxes I had lying around (I knew they would come in handy some day!) so it should be enough cardboard to line the bottom and some of the top half where she can reach if she gets on top of her hide.

Offline listentotheraine

• Sara E. Martin's Illustrations
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
I was babysitting a friend's rabbit once who kept escaping her pen and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how until I actually *saw* her squeeze through the bars. Hopefully she grows out of that soon! Until then, I think the cardboard is a good idea. Good luck!

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »
Thought I'd mention, They really are silly creatures and can be so sweet. Most rabbits love toys, cat balls with the bell in it, boxes to run through or throw, baby keys, stuffed animals(None with beads inside though just incase), clean large bottle tops, cardboard anything, paper shredding, dig boxes(you don't need dirt nessicarily). Lots! I think you'll have a lot of fun with him :)
Also, here's a short video of my bunny Peppy playing with his sheep to show you what I mean, :yelcutelaugh:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75333623@N02/7050468841/
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe