Author Topic: Another stray  (Read 1765 times)

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
Another stray
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »
We have lived in our current house for 3 1/2 years. When we moved in, there was a stray bunny. I should have known what a bad omen that was. Took 6 months to catch him. He was not very friendly, a major mix,  but time (3 additional months) and neuter changed his attitude and he was found a new home. Not long after he was rehomed 2 more were dumped in the lot next door. They always manage to find their way into my yard. Fortunately these 2 were super friendly, a polish and a dutch. Only took be 2 months to place them both. The next bunny was a polish mix, no personality what so ever, but was spayed, adopted out, and has a husband who makes up for her lack of personailty. Then there was Hazel. Ah Hazel. She was a broken chocolate english spot, looked purebred but possibly a mix. She was evil. I never was able to tame her enough to find a new home, she died a couple weeks after her spay. We do believe she was older. It was hard to like her, I'll be totally honest, but I tried my best.

This morning I caught a broken chin who knows what. Biggest ears ever, they are roughly the size of her body. She's actually quite ugly (sorry, I know that sounds mean) but seems very sweet. I will comb the ads for 2 weeks to see if anyone has lost her, but judging by her condition she's been out for a while. Thankfully, it's MUCH easier to qt rabbits vs rats.

I also want to add, I find it very odd that 5 out of 6 of these strays have been female.

Oh... in addition to the 6, I once had 1 left on my doorstep... So I suppose that's 7. At least I had a cage with that one, however inappropriate it was. 
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
Re: Another stray
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:23:39 PM »
Do you think they're all coming from the same place? Just seems an odd stray, a domestic bunny, let alone 6.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »
I doubt it. The lot next door to us is 2 acres of nothing. Prime dump location.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »
Sheesh. Lucky buns, though, to get dumped next door to your house.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »
Lucky buns... I guess. Unlucky me though -  Lol. We never had this problem at the old place. Of course houses were right next door to each other... probably could have high fived the neighbor if we both reached far enough out of our bedroom windows.

Seriously, I've played a bit more with this girl and she is super sweet and not too big so hopefully I can find her a home after the 2 week hold. She was so thirsty she's already gone through about 20 oz of water today. I'm also going to free feed her for a bit (hay and pellets) as she's a bit thin and I want to slowly inrtoduce fruits and veggies (don't want a diarrhea mess).

What REALLY scares me is we are just over a month past Easter. I really hope I'm not going to be bombarded this year.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:54:39 AM »
You rock.   :bow:

I actually knew someone who dumped 4 dogs once...I NEVER thought he'd be someone to do it.   :angry4:  He was so surprised that I quit talking to him after that.  Grrr.

I'd actually love to see a pic of the one with the giant ears!  I don't know too much about bunnies but it sounds...eventful!

;D - Raaz.