Author Topic: What type of bunny is this?  (Read 3245 times)

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
What type of bunny is this?
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:08 AM »

Offline YorkieLove

Re: What type of bunny is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »
I believe that is whats called a lionhead.

Offline ss_liloutlawssilverfox

• I <3 my ratties!!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 01:14:21 AM »
id say lionhead or angora cross

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:37 AM »
Definitely a lionhead, not an angora cross. And I believe the colour is called tort.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:48:56 AM »
It is for sure a (black) tort lionhead. They are not currently recognized by ARBA, however, there is a working standard for several varities/colors I would just have to get into my file for that info. I had planned on taking my registrar exam but let my membership lapse. 2 1/2 more years to go - lol. I will never take my judges exam, to much pressure, but am fairly confident I can pass the registars exam. It's possible that tort LH can pass by then, they passed their first showing at convention - 2 more conventions to go! Guess I should study them? Hmm..

From a show secretarys stand point, they are a pita. Exhibitors get burnt because awards are not offered for this breed. Typically, only breeds sanctioned with their breed club that have 10 or more in the breed recieve awards for BOB/BOS. Since LH are not yet recognized they cannot be officially sanctioned with a national club. They also cannot move on to compete for BIS/RIS or recieve ARBA gc legs. Probably more then you wanted to know - lol.

I have a really sweet LH foster doe ("Bunny" - her husband is a mini rex, his name is Clyde). She's the first sweet LH I have met, the rest have been... well.. not so sweet. I was a friends and her doe cleared her 5' tall play yard. I have never seen anything like it, the doe probably weighed 3lbs. Her's were pretty highstrung. Bunny is spayed of course so maybe that's why she's so calm?
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
Definitely looks like a lionhead to me too.
A super cute one at that, such expressive eyes.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »
Thank you guys. I don't know a lot about rabbits at all, but do certain breeds have different common illnesses? Can anyone share some info with me about LH?

I don't want to explain the whole story, but to make it brief(ish) This is my sisters rabbit that she just got. I posted a long time ago a thread explaining how many rabbits have been owned here before, and the HORRIBLE conditions they were left to die miserable in. I also mentioned how we only had one left that I brought inside to give a better life. I took care of Jasper though she was my sisters rabbit, and though I did my best to give her a better life, I'm sure she still suffered. She died a painful death unfortunately, just like all the other rabbits and here. And not a month later, my sister brought another rabbit into the house. My parents don't even care to do anything about it, no matter how much I complain. I wish I didn't have a mod delete the thread I am talking about, so you guys could understand this more. We had 11 rabbits at one time, and went through a lot. When I was younger my sister found a female, and my parents went and bought a male from a BYB and bred them. And it all went on from there..

Anyway. This breed does grow quite large correct? I can't imagine my stupid sister getting her a bigger cage when she gets bigger. She's also feeding the rabbit a crappy pellet mix with other things in it. She doesn't give her hay either. Anytime I try to tell her anything that I know about caring for rabbits she tells me "You think you know everything, it was your fault Jasper died, you stupid b*tch." ETC. She's the type of person to not care to learn about the pet she owns, and won't care to learn from anyone. I really have never hated anybody more.

Sorry this post is all over the place, I didn't plan to type this much. What are some things I could possibly get her to know about this breed, and very important things to watch out for, and provide etc.
 I can't explain how stressed I am over this. I don't understand why people don't realize animals aren't objects.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:02:42 PM »
I've never owned a lionhead specifically , so I'm not sure about size and stuff, but it's VERY important for rabbits to have hay. This is probably why all her rabbits were dying off. Get them Timothy hay and lots of it. No iceberg lettuce. Fresh water at all times.
Make sure they have something to chew on for their teeth like wooden bird toys, a cage they can fully lay out in with space to spare at least. Be careful about heat, an overheated rabbit can die.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »
Thank you. My mom said my sister was planning on getting a larger cage so I sure hope she does! I kept asking if she has given the rabbit hay (we have a bale of timothy) and she keeps saying not yet.. I don't know why not yet.

Also, does this rabbit look old enough to be away from her mom? She's about the size of a fat man rat.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
I'm really not sure by the picture, like I said.. I've never owned that breed so I'm not sure how big they'd be normally.
Maybe get your mother to go give it a handful if your sister hasn't yet? Hay is pretty important, there gut can stop moving causing a blockage of food/hair. They need to eat I believe 80% hay 10% pellets and 10% greens, however right now hay is a lot more important than greens.
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
The rabbit is in my sisters room, and she is asleep. I'll be sure she gives her some hay right away when she wakes up.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
Lionheads are a small breed. 3-4 lbs if memory serves. Google lionhead rabbit club and it should take you to a link where you can find info.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 03:28:09 AM »
Thanks

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
http://rabbitsonline.net/
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=54630&forum_id=17

If your sister isn't going to care for her, make sure you go in and check food and water and give her hay. A rabbit's diet needs to be hay moreso than pellets.

Offline Itchysrats

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
I have a gorgeous Loinhead rabbit at home, and they are a dwarf breed, and normally don't get much bigger than a dwarf lop
and I don't think the breed has any known specific illnesses or something like that

but they can get quite long fur, and needs to be brushed regularly to prevent matting, and they shed alot

(his mane wasn't fully developed when the picture was taken, but his mane is coming in late)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us