Author Topic: Thinking about a bunny  (Read 1250 times)

Offline PetRescueChick

Thinking about a bunny
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
Im not sure what kind of bunny i want or if i even want one, what breed is the sweetest?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:45:32 PM by PetRescueChick »

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Thinking about a bunny
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
If you're not sure you want one, it's best to wait. Rabbits need a LOT of time and a lot more space than you'd think.
Pet store cages are not adequate. They need enough space for all of their toys, litter box, dishes, etc. Plus with enough space that they can fully lay out 3 times across unobstructed.
They need timothy hay as their main diet, as well as pellets and constant fresh water. They can become difficult to deal with once they become teenagers. They can live to 13 years, which is a very long commitment. Sometimes they don't become fully litter trained until speutered, as well as being around other rabbits can make it worse even with no contact. Do not keep males and females in the same area unless at least one is neutered, even if you think you can watch them it takes seconds.

There is TONS of breeds to choose from, it all depends on the size you want. They range from 3lbs to 13 or more.
Netherlands Dwarfs to Flemish Giants and tons in between. Personality doesn't change by breed, except that big bunnies tend to be calmer(but also can't usually live in a cage due to their size). I also have noticed people saying lops are lazier. Though, I'm not too sure about that one.

They needs hours out of cage a day, 3 minimum is the recommended amount. I can't stress enough that they are not a first time pet, and there care shouldn't be taken lightly. But if this is what you really want, research tons and tons especially on the breed you want. Long coated bunnies are a lot more work, tiny ones tend to have the most energy(which is why they need the same cage space as a medium sized), etc.

Bunnies are great.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe