Author Topic: Would Neutering Help?  (Read 112 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Would Neutering Help?
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:49:26 PM »
Due to the fact that I only have two rats and those two don't get along, I want to get more. What I would like to do is to get Irish neutered and get him two little sisters. Husband said no more that three rats at a time. He is being very firm on this. He also thinks that neutering Irish might get rid of the problem. Tobi has chilled out and is no longer a jerk.

Now every time I have Tobi and Irish out, Tobi is chill and just wants to do his own thing, but Irish insists on holding him in place with his paws on Tobi's shoulders. Eventually Tobi tries to move and Irish bites him. And these bites draw blood. So... Would neutering Irish help or is having these two get along a lost cause?  :help:

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
Re: Would Neutering Help?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
Why not have Irish neutered and try to reintroduce them?  Or have them both neutered and reintroducing them ought to go very easy?
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Would Neutering Help?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
The blood worries me--that's not just dominance games. I'm with Mamarat2. Neutering should definitely help. Turn the volume WAAAAY down on their radios of love, as Dave Barry says.  :yelcutelaugh: The trick is that testosterone continues to be in their systems for up to a month.  :shocked2:  Although many say it is not necessary, I like to get painkillers after surgery, either a vet shot that lasts about a week or Metacam oral. Then when you get them home after surgery when they are groggy and hurtin' cowpokes you can try putting something yummy on their backs, like real chocolate pudding, for them to lick off each other and see if that works.  It just may take up to a month for them to really mellow.
--Best, Mountaintop--