Author Topic: Video of How *I* Syringe Meds into My Rats  (Read 14168 times)

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
Re: Video of How *I* Syringe Meds into My Rats
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »
Yeah and isn't baytril rendered ineffective by calcium if given together / too close?

I have heard people say baytril as well shouldn't be given with dairy, not exactly sure if its just a rolling assumption or a known fact (kinda like baytril will stunt the growth of a young rat, which is assumed, because it is only proven in puppies).

Yeah, I'm not sure. I just don't give it with anything dairy to be safe. =)
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
OHHHH okay. I forgot dairy has properties other than bacteria  :yelcutelaugh: that makes sense though.

Yeah and isn't baytril rendered ineffective by calcium if given together / too close?

I have heard people say baytril as well shouldn't be given with dairy, not exactly sure if its just a rolling assumption or a known fact (kinda like baytril will stunt the growth of a young rat, which is assumed, because it is only proven in puppies).

You know, it's interesting that you mention this, because I had never read anything about baytril stunting growth... but Topher was on Baytril and he is really small.

♡ 2010-2013 | rip Luca, Louie, Toph,
 and my best friends, Mishka & Willow ♡

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »

There are studies.  A couple weren't public, but there is one that's available to read: http://www.ayubmed.edu.pk/JAMC/PAST/18-3/12aslamchanna.pdf

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
Hmmm...but that is just for 1-14 day old babies given double dosing of what we would normally.  Have they found this in regular dosing in young rats?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »
I know that a lot of human antibiotics are rendered ineffective when given with dairy, too. So, we just play it safe around here and wait two hours before or after meds for anything like that.

I'm jealous of the people giving their rats meds in food. Mine ALWAYS seem to sense it, no matter what I put it in.  :doh:

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
Hmmm...but that is just for 1-14 day old babies given double dosing of what we would normally.  Have they found this in regular dosing in young rats?

I'd be interested to know this as well, cause as I mentioned, I believe Topher's growth was stunted. He's very tiny and although he has grown, it isn't very much. He was on Baytril when was about two months old.

♡ 2010-2013 | rip Luca, Louie, Toph,
 and my best friends, Mishka & Willow ♡

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »

No idea.  Like I said, there are a couple of studies that don't appear to be available to the public.  But since these are rats that are growing, I do think it's possible Baytril could impact on the cartilage growth on older baby rats.

In saying that, I would rather have a live potentially small adult rat, than a dead baby rat (I've used Baytril for rats under 3 months before), so I'm not saying Baytril shouldn't be used with young rats.  I definitely think when the benefit outweighs the potential harm, and in most cases they do, Baytril should be used.

Offline sevenfourteen87

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:40 AM »
Shelagh - thank you so much for posting this! The boyfriend and I have been struggling to medicate Cooper twice a day every day. She's just as feisty as your example critter!

We do okay with two sets of hands, but he'll be out of town for a while next week so I'll definitely get to practice medicating on my own!
Happily owned by Bad Sundae, Auddie-Bear, and Cooper-Duper

Missing Norrie-Doodle and JoAnna the Hooded Avenger

Offline Frequently Not On Boats

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 01:44:09 AM »
I know that a lot of human antibiotics are rendered ineffective when given with dairy, too. So, we just play it safe around here and wait two hours before or after meds for anything like that.

I'm jealous of the people giving their rats meds in food. Mine ALWAYS seem to sense it, no matter what I put it in.  :doh:

Baby food (particularly mashed peas) works really well, but if you dilute it too much (which sometimes I need to in order to get them to take it) they'll stop eating before they've gotten it all, so it can be a bit complicated. Also bread absorbs it really well. (Mine really like to physically take it from me. Though it can be a problem if they're hoarders and just stockpile the medicated bread...)

Offline Winterlest

• A balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »
Thank you so much for this video! I've always struggled with giving medicines to my rats. I usually try to wrap them in a towel but it doesn't help much.

I posted to bump the topic because I find it very helpful.
Mommy to:
1 cat - Cece
1 rat - Nino

Bridge rats: Oscar, Boo, Maurice, Moe, Rodney, Marley, Remy and Nestle. I'll keep you forever in my heart <3

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Wish this had been at the top when I was giving meds  :yelcutelaugh: Luckily I trial-and-errored my way into a similar method through sheer desperation. Worked out though!

Still, it's so helpful to actually see it.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Winterlest

• A balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
I failed  :D When I try to hold Rodney like this, he twists his body and tries to climb on me. Giving medicines is hard.
Mommy to:
1 cat - Cece
1 rat - Nino

Bridge rats: Oscar, Boo, Maurice, Moe, Rodney, Marley, Remy and Nestle. I'll keep you forever in my heart <3

Offline TheBandit

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fuzzy Dudes!
    • Bandit's House
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
I'm soo happy that this resurfaced again recently! Erebus won't take her meds in ANYTHING but this ridiculous peanut better mixture that is going to make her so fat.  ::) I think I may have to try this. I'm really scared of the risk of the meds aspirating her, though.

Ratless. :(

Missing Erebus, Quiz, Bandit, Appa and Janus. Rest well, my loves. You were all magical and beautiful, and I'll miss you always.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
I stickied this to make it easier to find as a tutorial, hopefully, though we know that no one ever reads the sticky threads.   :wink5: