Author Topic: IMPORTANT INFO & RESOURCES - Vet time, Rehydrating Formula, Quarantine, more  (Read 35368 times)

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
This is a general information thread for all new members of the board, and for the old-timers who might need a refresher. ;)

Rats Rule Reference Desk - the first section of our very own board is an invaluable resource for finding your way around the forum. We highly recommend it for community members of ALL levels of "seniority." :) Topics include: How to chat, a visual tutorial, how to post photos, and much more.

Forum Ground Rules -- know what's expected before you get going. This is required reading for ALL forum members.

Posting Guidelines -- just some guidelines to help you settle in. This is also required reading for all forum members.

Rat Care Resources on the Internet - one of the most valuable resources on the board -- links to all sorts of good stuff, including basic care, feeding, housing, vet resources, markings, and much more.

One important Highlight from the internet resources:
The Importance of Proper Quarantine

When to Take Your Rat to the Vet -- check the list of symptoms and other recommendations to give you an idea of when a vet visit is immediately necessary.

Breeding Ethics and Our Community -- just so you know how the majority of us feel about this very controversial topic...

and its sister thread...

Personal Stories About Breeding -- before you consider breeding (or asking about breeding), please read the stories in this thread.

This thread will be edited as needed with updates.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:41:35 PM by Suebee »

Offline WS

• The Rat Whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • sketch o my boys (in memoriam)
WHEN TO TAKE YOUR RAT TO THE VET
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 07:06:40 AM »

Emergencies: Take your pet to the vet immediately if you notice:

*unconsciousness, disorientation, or spastic movements

*heavy bleeding or heavy bleeding that won't stop

*immobility: sudden impaired movement in any limbs, lameness, swelling of limbs

*traumatic injury such as, wounds, lacerations, attack by another animal, fall, being stepped on, etc.

*exposure to the elements: extreme heat or cold

*foreign bodies or injury to the eyes:  discharge, swelling, cloudiness of lens

*blood in mucous, stools, urine, anus, genitals

*ingestion of poisonous materials (plants, household cleansers, anti-freeze)

*gasping for breath

*fingers, nails, toes, gums and ears turning pale or blue

*sudden uncommon lethargy, inactivity, refusal to eat or drink

See your vet prompty if you notice:

upper respiratory symptoms including: frequent sneezing coughing, clicking, or rattling sounds in the chest;  churring or purring sounds;  runny nose or red stains around the nose (porphyrin) porphyrin stains around the eyes, runny eyes;  squinty eyes;  hunched posture;  lack of appetite or interest in drinking water.
 (* a note about porphyrin: this is an iron oxide pigment in tears and mucous that can look like blood around the eyes and nose. Some rats produce more than others and it is not always a sign of illness. But increased porphyrin stains or runny eyes, nose, from what is usual for the animal can be signs of illness, pain or stress)

*slight blood in mucous, stools, urine, anus, genitals

*weight loss, intermittent diarrhea or constipation, chronic intestinal symptoms:  persistent diarrhea,  reduced appetite,  persistent constipation

*unusual swelling in any part of the body or unusual discharge

*lumps or tumors

*hair loss, scabs, or persistent scratching

*gradual impairment of limbs, hind limb paralysis, lameness

*changes in behaviour or other unusual health symptoms

I'm providing this guideline because some people check this forum when their pet is in serious trouble and I see some instances where an emergency vet visit would be recommended.

This forum is not intended to replace veterinary advice and it is unethical for ANYONE -even if trained and qualified-  to give specific treatment recommendations without being able to take an animal's history and examination.  (This is why having a good vet is so important... one who will see you in times of wellness and emergency and answer questions )  -- This forum is a good place to get advice and information but it doesn't replace veterinary attention and routine check-ups.  
 :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 07:19:02 AM by WS »
~~( *)3:>  WS

Pet's name: elwood
Adopt your own!

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
Rehydrating Formula
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:56:21 AM »
Since I just had to search through all my stuff to find this for someone in chat, I thought I'd post this in Rat Care so it will be easier to find.

Homemade rehydrating formula: 10 oz warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 tsp salt. Mix well, refrigerate extra, warm up to feed.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline Fritz

• http://tickerfactory.com/
Re: Rehydrating Formula
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 06:29:58 AM »
:)That Rehydrating formula is wonderful, but can my rat drink it daily as a regular drink? And if he can how much should I give to him?

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 02:42:31 PM »
:)That Rehydrating formula is wonderful, but can my rat drink it daily as a regular drink? And if he can how much should I give to him?

No, the purpose of a rehydrating formula is to get fluid into a rat that is dehydrated or sick. It's not something that should be given every day.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline Rattenburg

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattenburg Rattery
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:24:22 PM »
There's another formula that I learned from a reputable chihuaha breeder.

1 tbsp.          Honey
1 pinch          Salt
1 cup/8 oz.     Water

I've had a cat and a mouse before that needed it and they loved it and it really helped. :) Hopefully this may help someone too. :)

Offline guitarglr86

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 05:41:33 PM »
I think the honey is a better option than the sugar

Offline mmajomo

• Ritten
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 04:46:02 PM »
Honey might have a botulism risk--I have used maple syrup but for all I know that does, too.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 01:25:47 AM »
This webpage exlains why and how to do what is considered a full and proper quarantine for when you get new rats.