Author Topic: Dove bit by rat  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Shearaha

Dove bit by rat
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:31:22 AM »
I'm asking for some advice here and I'll likely post this over in the rat forum as well. Yesterday afternoon my husband let our ring-neck dove Louie out for some free flight time. Well he landed on top of our rat cage and one of our rats bit his foot. After I got home from work I cleaned the wound and lathered it with neosporin. I've removed all of his wood perches and left in his rope one, much softer, and replaced his "bedding" with paper towels. Does anyone have any experience in treating foot wounds on ground birds? Any advice would be helpful. I'll be talking with one of the vets I work with today to see if there's anything more I can do for him at home. This comes at a bad time as we're broke after the fire and just don't have enough to get him to a vet. If the wound starts to look infected or isn't healing right we may be able to borrow money from my in-laws but we'd like to avoid that if possible.

Offline TheCrazyRatLady

• Resident rat forum Lurker.
Re: Dove bit by rat
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »
Birds are excellent healers, and neosporin can be very dangerous, it is only made for scrapes, not deeper wounds, and it can make punctures go from bad to worse in a short time.

Keep it clean, more than anything else. Soak it in warm water with epsom salt if you can get him to hold still, a towel is good for control.

Keep an eye on it, and definitly vet him, if any problems develop.
Watch for any forming of a "Core"

I've had worse wounds heal on birds, without any vet at all. (Shattered wing on a wild starling with bones jutting out of holes in the skin) :O

Good luck. I'm fairly sure he will be okay.
Proud slave to the two princes, Romeo and Snitch!

Offline Shearaha

Re: Dove bit by rat
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:58 AM »
I'm happy to report that Louie has healed completely. He lost one toe back to the first joint, but it doesn't seam to bother him. The other wounds on his foot healed with no problems.

The neosporin was reccomended by my vet, 2/day applications until the wounds healed. I'll keep the Epsom salts in mind if theirs a next time.

Louie is a wonderful patient and was surprisingly tolerable of everything I had to do to him during his healing process. I didn't even need a towel, and he's the only dove I've ever worked with that I could one hand restrain and treat.