Author Topic: Plucking out feathers.  (Read 2961 times)

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
Plucking out feathers.
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
My 14 yr old green cheek conure plucked some feathers out from his legs and belly. He started doing it after I came back from vacation. In 2 days time his belly was naked. It's been 4 months and no evidence of feathers growing. He doesnt scratch at himself and doesnt pluck anymore as far as I can tell. Are his feathers going to grow back out? Was it caused by stressed?

I think he started doing it from stress and not because of vacation. He likes to hang out under my platform bed and I have blocked off his access to it since in the middle of the night, he'd get in there and start playing (knocking on wood, talking to him self and so on) and would wake me up. He was really pissed of at me after that and the feather plucking started. I tried to compensate by giving him boxes with little access hole cut out, covering part of the cage and so on and on and on but he only wants to be able to get under the bed again. Since then I let him play there and only block the access during the night.
People say that darkness/covering cage calms down birds...well, not this bird. He LOVES confined/dark places (aka closets, under bed, drawers).
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Plucking out feathers. UPdate: we know know the cause.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »
We now know why he's been doing it. He was trying to make a nest with his feathers...........He laid an egg lol Turns out he is a she.
"He' laid another egg today. That's 2 eggs in two weeks. What do I do? lol
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Plucking out feathers.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
Increase calcium, take the eggs away, and adjust amount of daylight she is getting.

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Plucking out feathers.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:16 PM »
Increase calcium, take the eggs away, and adjust amount of daylight she is getting.

Did the calcium thing and talked to breeders. Was told that GC are 'replaces' so to let the egg be and let HER (hehe) go through the cycle of it or she'll just keep laying eggs. First egg broke, and she laid another one....after sitting on it for a while she gave up and no more eggs as of yet.
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion