Author Topic: Best diet for a Conure and other questions  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
Best diet for a Conure and other questions
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
I'm bird sitting for a friend while she's in NY and I though I would do some research. She acts like she's done research but every time I ask her questions she acts like she's guessing or doesn't know. She just got a green cheeked conure last week. this bird is still young but I don't know the age. Right now she's being fed Encore seed mix and Lafeber's parrot food which is a pellet food. She's getting half and half but is not as interested in her pellets as her seed mix. I'm sure my friend is just dumping what she doesn't eat, which is the pellets an some corn.

First of all I have no idea what a bird should eat. What is the best brand? I would think corn isn't good because I know rats shouldn't have feed corn.

If some one could direct me to a good bird forum (this one's pretty dead) for her to look at and what not that would be much appreciated!

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Best diet for a Conure and other questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:40:06 PM »
I make my own bird seed mix and add pellets to that, but most birds dont like pellets. Even mine doesnt eat them much. But don't dump out food too often, if you keep refilling the seed bowl, the bird is just going to pick out the fave seeds and leave the rest...so wont get all the vitamins. Fresh fruits/veggies is a must. My guys gets at least 4 different fresh fruit/veggies a day. As for seed mixes....I hear that lafaber(sp?) is one of the most decent ones found in petstores.......as long as you give a decent seed mix and a good variety of fresh and dried fruits/veggies you cant go wrong.

Also, I have to say it's kind of irresponsible to get a bird and go out of town a few days later. Bird are VERY easily stressed and don't take changes very well...... all these changes are not a good thing....especially during the supposedly 'bonding' period.
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
Re: Best diet for a Conure and other questions
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
We were afraid some one would buy her and she had already fallen in love with the bird. Some people were looking at her too. I offered to stay at their house to watch her while they went out of town. Of course if she had actually done research she would know these things. I feel bad but it's not my bird so I don't want to have to do all the research ya know?

Do you know of a bird forum?