Author Topic: Quaker Parrot Help  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
Quaker Parrot Help
« on: June 09, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
We have had her since she was 15 years old, she is now 18 years old. When we first got her she was for me but she bonded with my dad. She attacks my mom and I when we get close. (She has taken a chunk out of my hand and ear before). My mom has given up but I always still tried to take care of her. She has never once even tried to get at my dad, but he is also the one she bonded with as I said earlier. Well my dad is too busy with 2 jobs every day and can no longer care for her properly. I am going to be the one taking care of her now. I am so worried because before I couldn't even feed or water her. I would throw food into her cage because if I get close she comes out attacking. (She can fly, we don't get her flying wings clipped)

I am just in serious need of knowing how to handle this. I don't want to have to worry when I need to water her or feed her. I'm not worried about cage cleanings because I have always done the cleaning and my dad takes her out and puts her into a cage for me while I clean. But I have never before been able to feed or water her before with out her attacking me.

Any advice of how I can get her to slowly bond with me? Or how I am going to do these tasks with out being eaten?

Back ground on her - We got her from a rescue. The previous owners were abusive to her because they had her as a breeding bird and she was never successful because she would kill the males. She killed over 4 of them days after being in the cages with them.

Offline AnimalLover12550

Re: Quaker Parrot Help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:22:50 AM »
I've got a bunch of birds, but I don't have Quaker experience.  I've been told/read that Quakers can be very cage territorial.  Will she step up on a perch?  If not it might be something to work on.  Have a long dowel or extra perch where you can keep your hands safe have her step up and put her on a stand.  While she's there you can clean, change the food or whatever else needs to be done.  You might also be able to handle her once she's away from her "territory". Are her wings clipped?  If not and you get her wings clipped and her beak trimmed it might help with some of the attitude.  Any bird stores near you that you can go meet people and learn ways to win her over?  I'm lucky in the fact I've got an avian store near me that is always there to help when I run in to problems.  Good luck!