Author Topic: African Grey Rescue?  (Read 3307 times)

Offline zoink03

African Grey Rescue?
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:56:38 AM »
I have always wanted an African Grey, but realizing that they are far from short lived and low maintenance, I've been very intimidated. There is so much about them that I do not know but I am endlessly fascinated by them (as in, I have wanted one for over 10 years). I want to wait another couple of years before possibly getting one, but I when the day comes, I want to be completely prepared. I also think I'd want to adopt from a rescue if at all possible. Does anyone have a good resource on info about Greys and rescues?

Offline aquaseafoam

Re: African Grey Rescue?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »
I have a Congo African Grey.  She is 12 years old and I adopted her from someone off craigslist last year.
I do not know where you are located, but googling your state and "bird rescue" may give you some hits.  I think adopting an unwanted adult from it's previous owners can be rewarding as well.  Everyone wants a cute little baby, but 10 years later they get tired of them and rehome.  I am Lily's 3rd home in 12 short years.

Of course, you have to be really sure what to look for in an older bird and take it to the vet or trust the people you get it from to disclose any illness or behavior problems.  Luckily, my girl has been awesome.  She's a typical sort of shy grey, but she talks and steps up and likes head scratches occasionally.  She doesn't scream or make any real "bird" noises at all- she's all beeps and whistles and sound effects when she isn't talking- which is really great since I live in an apartment.

I love that you want to adopt rather than buy a baby.  Both my parrots were adopted as adults and I'm really glad I didn't go through those hormonal years with them!
Dot- beige capped smoothcoat dumbo 8/09
Taj- Pearl merle bershire smoothcoat dumbo ~12/08 I'm over 3 years old!!
Coraline (RIP)- black hooded smoothcoat dumbo 7/09-11/11