Author Topic: Budgie has cyst - Help!  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Nyaasu

Budgie has cyst - Help!
« on: November 23, 2010, 07:47:47 PM »
[This is my friend, using my screen name]

I have a 4-5 year old female budgie that has a large cyst on its bottom. The vet will remove it, but gave us only a 30% chance of her surviving the surgery, not good odds. She is not in any pain, just weighed down from it. He gave her a shot of something that stopped the growth of it, at least for now.  I don't know if he'd be able to give her more shots after this. I'm wondering what is better: taking her to a surgery she likely won't survive, or leaving the tumor on and praying it doesn't get any bigger.

Her mate screamed 5 hours nonstop while we were at the vet, I'm afraid if she dies he'll die of a broken heart.

Offline Ratatata

• Posts Too Much!
  • Officialized Weirdo.
Re: Budgie has cyst - Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
I'm sorry. If I were you I would hope the cyst doesn't get any bigger but if she is really suffering I would have her put to sleep due to the stress it would be on such a little bird to have so many vet visits..
If she gets it removed and doesn't make it, then I would suggest  getting another female and try to introduce them.   :-\
Currently volunteering as a foster home.

Be profound: The cup is useful because of it's emptyness.

Offline CrowCrow

• Ritten
Re: Budgie has cyst - Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »
Your post hits close to home because I just lost my 17-1/2 year old 'tiel to a tumor (or cyst) in her lower abdomen a few days ago.

I first noticed it over a year ago. I took her to the vet, thinking she was egg bound. He said surgery would most likely kill her due to the tumor's size and her being a bit underweight. Surgery with small birds is always risky; they only have so much blood to lose in their tiny bodies and it's a huge trauma. She had an ultrasound and it freaked her out; she was non-responsive and almost catatonic just from that painless and brief procedure. I brought her home intending to make her last days comfortable. I figured as long as she was eating, and interested in affection, she was enjoying life and wanted to stick around. Well, go figure, the tumor shrunk and stayed shrunk for about a year, her energy returned and she had a happy year.

About a month ago the tumor was back. Again she was uncomfortable, but still showing interest in food and affection. Last Saturday afternoon she suddenly developed sporadic coughing fits and noisy breathing. In spite of her distress, she devoured her millet and craved attention, signs I took to be positive ones. I spent some time with her trying to comfort her, patting her and holding her. The next morning, she was gone. If she had still been suffering that morning, I would considered putting her to sleep, but she had other plans.

My advice? Give her love and affection and watch for signs that she is suffering with the tumor. If she is at more than just a level of "uncomfortable", take her back to the vets to be euthanized. I doubt your pet's mate will die of a broken heart, but they do miss companions they've had and keep looking/calling for them. Try another bird and see how they get along.