Author Topic: New Parrotlet  (Read 3076 times)

Offline missybuckeye211

• Posts Too Much!
New Parrotlet
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
Hi!  I just adopted a blue Pacific Parrotlet who was parent raised.   Are there any good books/videos out there that can help with taming/training this little guy?  He is such a little cutie, but absolutely terrified of us.  He is 14 weeks old, so is he plenty young enough for me to be successful with this?  Help!!!!

Offline Ratatata

• Posts Too Much!
  • Officialized Weirdo.
Re: New Parrotlet
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
If you go on Amazon there are parrot training books that you can get, also look on parrot websites there's plenty of info out there.
good luck with your new little one!
Currently volunteering as a foster home.

Be profound: The cup is useful because of it's emptyness.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:39:01 AM »
I have had one awesome parrotlet, his name was Bart, and he was the best ever.
He loved to come out of his cage and hang out with us, and his favourite band was Fleetwood Mac.  ;D

That being said, he was handraised.

I have 2 now that came from abusive homes, and neither of them will ever tolerate being held, but I've worked with the female enough to touch her sometimes.

I actually bought a book on them from a pet store many years back, if I had it around I would tell you the title.
One method that I've found works really nicely is bringing the cage in the bathroom, and opening it up. The just talk to the bird, and if they want to come out, they can.
Being such a small area, it is easy enough to catch him and put him back.  ;)

Offline missybuckeye211

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »
Thanks!  I have been working with him a bit.  We are trying some clicker training and it seems to be working, albeit slowly.  He has learned that touching my finger *gently* with his beak gets a click and a treat (millet) and will walk out onto the door of the cage to do this.  I have everyone in the house do this once a day.  He seems to be stuck here though, and some days he accepts more touching than others.  He also seems to be more active in the evening and HIS favorite band is Rascal Flatts!! :doh: