Author Topic: Scarlet Macaw  (Read 1324 times)

Offline jonahsmom

Scarlet Macaw
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »
Okay - so this isn't going to happen for AT LEAST a few years, but our son has started researching scarlet macaws because he is CONVINCED that he is going to have one.  We told him that if he wants one, he needs to continue to research while saving up his allowance, his Christmas money, his birthday money, etc because if he wants one, it will be HIS bird and have talked to him about what a HUGE responsibility it is and that he will have this bird for the rest of his life, etc.  We will gladly help socialize with it, care for it, help clean cage, help with vet bills, etc., but the bulk of the responsibility will be his.  And we love that he is setting a goal because when he sets a goal he is generally able to achieve it and we think he will be a terrific pet owner (with our help until he ventures out on his own some day).  He absolutely loves to play with his animals, loves to talk to them, try to teach them tricks, etc. 

Obviously we as his parents will also be researching and making sure that the bird is well taken care of and happy, but he is already telling me what the bird's needs will be as far as socialization, toys, food, etc (he has been on his computer CONSTANTLY soaking up information).  By the time this happens, we want to be as absolutely prepared as possible.

My question is, when the time comes, do you think a rescue macaw would be appropriate for a teenage boy?  (Yes, he would be a family pet, but again would be HIS pet technically)  I worry somewhat about the temperment of a bird that might not have come from the best situation, but also know that there are several in the surrounding states already that could use good homes and I'm sure there will continue to be macaws needing good homes in a few years when he is ready to bring one home.

I've searched on here a little bit about macaws and didn't find much, so I was wondering if any of you might have an online resource that you often frequent, or another board, that will help him/us with our research? 

Offline sictransitVictoria

• Ritten
Re: Scarlet Macaw
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »
I'm sorry, I hate to be a party pooper but I would STRONGLY advise against you starting out  with a macaw. I know, theyre beautiful and mesmerizing, but most people dont realize the sheer amount of work that goes into being a parrot owner. I work with exotic animals, and birds have always been where the bulk of my passion is. If I had a penny for every person who fell in love with a macaw or cockatoo, only to take it home and realize they simply arent able to deal with it, I'd have.. a whole lot of pennies. The size alone makes it tough to handle, and even a warning nip can be painful and nasty. They need a whole lot of 'training' to make sure they dont pick up bad habits, and are well mannered/ well socialized. Not to mention noisy. Personally, if he's serious about a parrot I would suggest trying a smaller parrot, like a senegal, or a conure. Much easier to handle and 'get your feet wet' so to speak, and theres no reason why you can't decide to get a scarlet one day down the road.

Offline jonahsmom

Re: Scarlet Macaw
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
No worries about being a party pooper, we threw this idea out the door almost as soon as it was an idea!  Pretty much for the very reasons you stated.  We told our son he'll have to make a decision to get one when he is an adult and in his own house, has his own money for it, etc.  It's not something that we're able to take on in our house.

So, no worries!  We were our own party poopers!!!!