Author Topic: "Scab" on corner of beak?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline KatnRat

"Scab" on corner of beak?
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »
Alright, I know this is a long shot since the bird part of this forum is a bit quiet but I'm asking anyway.

My older lovebird has a small yellow scab like bump on the corner of the left side of her beak. I can't seem to find any information online that matches what she has (and I'm sorry, I don't have a picture yet). The closest I can find are pictures of mites, but all of those pictures look far more severe. I'm thinking there is also the possibility that she could have injured herself. She does have a friend; perhaps he got a bit nippy when they were grooming each other one day? There isn't any blood though, so I'm guessing that is a very low possibility.

I'm going to call the vet this morning. I'm taking another pet in on Saturday (when it rains, it pours) so I'm hoping that there will be an opening and I can bring both in at the same time. In the meantime though:

Any thoughts on what this could be? Would you agree that this sounds like mites? Any experience with anything similar? Tips on a good online parrot health reference (or book, if there is nothing online)?

rats: Kenny, Enrique, Harvey

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
Re: "Scab" on corner of beak?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
I dont know much about birds, but i did a quick search and this is what i came up with
www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/
This one looks dead, but maybe you could do a search?
http://www.fluffies.org/en/lovebird-chat-forum-vf15.html

This one is active
http://theparrotforum.com/
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:43:52 PM »
It could be the start of mites. It can appear small and not too bad to begin with, and then spread.. In Aus me treat with a drop of ivermectin on the back of the neck, and if it is mites, it should clear up in no time. Yes a picture would help, or ask your vet. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Offline KatnRat

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 02:18:29 AM »
Thank you both! :)

She went in to see the vet today who told me that the scab is just a scab. (lol- silly me being so paranoid!) I am glad I brought her in though, because the vet told me that my little-old-lady lovebird has been picking at her feet (something I didn't even notice. :-\) and has probable arthritis or possibly Amazon Foot Necrosis. It seems like the blood panel cleared her of the latter, but they are running one more test and I will be chatting with the vet tomorrow about treatment options.

rats: Kenny, Enrique, Harvey