Author Topic: Thinking about Doves (or small other bird)  (Read 1435 times)

Offline ashleymd

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moving Along In Life
Thinking about Doves (or small other bird)
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
I have had a few parakeets in the past and disliked them very much due to getting them at age 4 and they were scared of everything.  I tried for almost 3 years to calm their fears and possibly even get them to be okay with my hand just in the cage to clean... huge fail, I adopted them to a friend of mine who has dealt with keets for 30+ years and was willing to take them.

I have been looking into birds a little more, and have heard great things about doves.  I did some research online, and it's all pretty standard textbook stuff, but... I'd rather hear personal experiences. 

So please share anything about Dove care you can think of. 

There is a local Mom-and-Pop pet store that I've loved dealing with for 10+ years and they are very knowledgeable about any animal they carry.  I will most likely go there to get a young Dove pair. 

What kind of cage do you recommend? Food?  Treats?  Cage toys?  Anything.....

Also, What other smaller bird would you reccomend other than Parakeets.
Hubby and I are looking for a smaller bird (not finch small, but Dove, or Cockatiel sized) that would be easily hand-tamed with regular attention, and pretty easy/basic care.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:15:00 PM by ashleymd »
Mommy to: Bear, Mia, CoCoa-Mo, Nala, Jasper + some fishies.

Blackie, Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge know you've always been my number one man. 

To all my other fur babies - I love each of you, they don't give me enough space to name you all.

Offline Lace_and_Buttons

Re: Thinking about Doves (or small other bird)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
I'm a big fan of cockatiels, as far as noise level, intelligence, lifespan and "tame-ability" if you will. We have a cockatiel and she is a doll. She's been with us for a month and a half and I'm ridiculously in love with her. She's not completely tame yet and all interactions are on her own terms (she comes over and picks at me when she wants, chirps when she wants to be petted, etc), but I love her attitude and she's wonderful.

I do think that if you could get some hand tame doves, they would be great pets. Their noises are pretty soothing, I do believe since they aren't hookbills they require grit (which you put in a small cup in their cage, not on their food, so they can take it as needed). I don't think they're into playing with toys. As with most birds I think a mix of pellets and seeds is best. Not sure whether they can have fruits, veggies, and grains like parrots. And with doves, I believe flight cages work best. I am a fan of the HQ flight cage: http://www.amazon.com/HQ-Purpose-32-Inch-21-Inch-60-Inch/dp/B0055OGFZ0 . I have one for the lovebirds we have at the rescue, and it's roomy, sturdy, and attractive.
Taking care of animals is a full time, fulfilling duty, and I wouldn't have it any other way. AR Rescue and Sanctuary: http://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Rodents-AR-Rescue-and-Sanctuary/268227383214728

Offline aquaseafoam

Re: Thinking about Doves (or small other bird)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
Honestly, I think a hand fed parakeet is the best bird pet.  I have larger parrots now and I still miss my little handfed guy.  Being hand fed makes a world of difference- but you won't find one at a petstore.  Try placing a wanted ad in Craigslist or the ebay classifieds, that's how I found a breeder.  You could also do a search for local bird clubs/fairs in your area.

Seriously, search youtube for talking budgie (parakeet)- males make the best pets usually, hens can be kind of grumpy.  You already know budgies are chatterboxes and chatter all day, but it's usually not loud.  Personally, I find cockatiels (and conures) noises a little grating- not that they don't make good pets- I just don't like the types of noises they make.

By contrast my African Grey are quiet most of the day and then only make learned noises (beeps, talking, whistles) a few times a day.  So, even though they have to potential to be louder than a little budgie in volume- they rarely utilize their abilities.

One last thing I love about budgies- their small, dry poop.  I know, it's weird- but they are practically the only bird where it doesn't matter if they poop outside the cage because it dries after a few minutes and you can just pick it up with a tissue.  Even other small birds tend to have "wet" poop that will mess up clothes/furniture/carpet.
Dot- beige capped smoothcoat dumbo 8/09
Taj- Pearl merle bershire smoothcoat dumbo ~12/08 I'm over 3 years old!!
Coraline (RIP)- black hooded smoothcoat dumbo 7/09-11/11