Author Topic: baby birdie  (Read 1114 times)

Offline harpbeat339

• "A balanced person has a rat on each shoulder"
baby birdie
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »
I found a baby mourning dove on my fence today. I couldn't see a mother and thought I'd put it in an open shoebox out of harms way so the mother could still reach him, but as I was lifting him up, he got up and awkwardly flew to a nearby bush in the shade and closer to my house. I didn't touch him after that since I knew he was at least capable of flying and I didn't want to stress him too much. I haven't seen a parent and he's been sitting there for hours. I've checked on him a few times, but is there anything else I could do?
Thanks!
Harper
Proud Mommy of:
Dogs - Brody (cockapoo) <3 <3 <3
Rats - Colby and Brie

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: baby birdie
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
Parents will usually take care of the babies if they fall to the ground. You could maybe put out a bottlecap of water or something, but beyond that, just keep an eye out for the parents.

Remember, when you walk out you might be scaring them off!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:50:24 PM »
Mourning doves are terrible at building their nests in strategic places and it always seems like the babies fall out before they can fly.  But despite not being the "sharpest tacks in the box," they are terribly attentive parents (they only lay usually two eggs at a time, so only one or two survive...and while they have side affairs, are usually mated for life or until one passes away...and share parenting).  Especially if it's at the point where it can fly even a bit, it's probably just about ready to completely take off...like REALLY soon.  I'd let them all do their thing.  S/he is probably just hanging around near the nest for a day or two before getting up the guts to run off on his/her own!

(I watched many generations of mourning doves very closely).

- Raaz.

Offline harpbeat339

• "A balanced person has a rat on each shoulder"
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:24:16 AM »
Thank you both so much! I went to bed and this morning he wasn't in the bush where he had been all day yesterday so I assume he finally flew away.  :)
Proud Mommy of:
Dogs - Brody (cockapoo) <3 <3 <3
Rats - Colby and Brie

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 03:48:12 AM »
Yes, I am no bird expert, but have known many mourning dove families.  (I love them BTW).  Usually the teenagers/young ones once able to fly a short distance can make it on their own.  Predatory birds are usually the biggest threat right at first, but if s/he's gone, I wouldn't worry!  They are very bonded to parents and sometimes it just takes a couple of days to go out on their own.

Neat thing (if you're into it) is that often times, doves will come back to close to where they were born. 

I am a sucker...I know.  But I love the sound of mourning doves in the morning.  Such a sweet and mellow sound.

;D - Raaz.