Author Topic: Single Female budgie/ Should I get a cagemate???  (Read 1282 times)

Offline renstimpy10

Single Female budgie/ Should I get a cagemate???
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
Hello I have a single female budgie for over a year now and she is great and i really enjoy that she is the only budgie I have, I do spend time with her, but i have noticed lately that she keeps laying eggs batch after batch and im worried she will get a deficiency due to not allowing her body to recopriate i do have a mineral block and cuttle bone in the cage  with her, but my question is will another budgie distract her so her body does not continue to produce eggs, and if so should it be a female or male i would not mind a male but then I feel like I will go from having only 1 budgie to 20 in a couple months the only thing i can think is if i get a male to allow them to have ! batch of babies and separate the sexes boys with pop and girls with momma and see if she will finally stop laying eggs, or will another female help her stop by taking turns laying eggs ? please an suggestions would greatly help out.

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
Re: Single Female budgie/ Should I get a cagemate???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »
I used to be smart about birds.( 20 yr ago) I had budgies and finches.  Common sense says dont get a male if you want her to stop producing eggs. They have these things now that are artificial plastic eggs.  I dont know exactly what they are used for, but I think it might be something you can look into.  Maybe like put them in a nest and she can be happy with her sitting, yet its like birdy birth control?  On the other hand, Producing eggs may not be a problem.

Offline aquaseafoam

Re: Single Female budgie/ Should I get a cagemate???
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
What is she laying in? If there is any type of nest or nest box, remove it.  If she has really deep food dishes, maybe change them out to something that doesn't look appealing.
Dot- beige capped smoothcoat dumbo 8/09
Taj- Pearl merle bershire smoothcoat dumbo ~12/08 I'm over 3 years old!!
Coraline (RIP)- black hooded smoothcoat dumbo 7/09-11/11