Author Topic: Pet Eagle?  (Read 4645 times)

Offline RAT-BIRD

Pet Eagle?
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
Ok, first of all... I DO NOT WANT A PET EAGLE!!!! But yesterday my little cousin (he's 4) asked if he could have an eagle as a pet. I of course said no, but I'm kind of wondering this also. Do you have to work with a special nature person or something? Or do you just have to have a License?

Offline Pamnangel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Stand for something or you stand for nothing!
    • Pam's Petsitting
Re: Pet Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
Eagles are definately illegal to keep. I think it's a crime to even possess their feathers. Zoos and places of that sort, maybe wildlife rehabbers, are the only places likely to qualify for a permit.
Pam
Pam's Petsitting
AuntiePamsPantry/Etsy
ElderRat Care Center
Roseville, CA

Offline RAT-BIRD

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:32:17 AM »
Thanks. I know this was an unnecessary question.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
Probably depends in part on the state/country you live in. But like Pamnangel said, it is, in general, illegal to keep eagles. They are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which protects them from all forms of "take" (including possession). Eagles in North America are also protected by other local legislation (in California, Bald Eagles are still listed as endangered, though federally they have been delisted).

IF someone were to possess an eagle or part of an eagle, they would definitely need permits and licenses to allow it.
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Eagles are definately illegal to keep. I think it's a crime to even possess their feathers. Zoos and places of that sort, maybe wildlife rehabbers, are the only places likely to qualify for a permit.

Is it really a crime to have their feathers? I have several eagle, hawk, and falcon feathers that I have collected over the years (by collected, I mean found while hiking, walking, etc)
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »

Is it really a crime to have their feathers? I have several eagle, hawk, and falcon feathers that I have collected over the years (by collected, I mean found while hiking, walking, etc)

Yup. Migratory Bird Treaty Act declares it illegal to possess any part of a protected species, and pretty much every species in North America is protected, except domestics and non-native species.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »

Yup. Migratory Bird Treaty Act declares it illegal to possess any part of a protected species, and pretty much every species in North America is protected, except domestics and non-native species.

Well, I  guess those particular feathers will not be leaving the house any time soon :)
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »

Well, I  guess those particular feathers will not be leaving the house any time soon :)

I know what you mean! ;)

Offline RAT-BIRD

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

I know what you mean! ;)

WOW. A lot of quoting.... :eek:

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »
Without quoting;
The reason wild bird feathers are illegal to own is to reduce the interest in feathers for decoration.  An incredible number of birds were shot and plucked just for their feathers, just to adorn the clothing (especially hats) of women.  By making feathers illegal to own, the slaughter of millions of birds was averted.

FYI.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline RAT-BIRD

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »
Well, when birds such as ostriches get their feather plucked, they eventually grow them back. so... Maybe legal for them?

Offline Garavar

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
Well, when birds such as ostriches get their feather plucked, they eventually grow them back. so... Maybe legal for them?

Imagine having all your hair ripped out for decoration, and then having to grow it out only to have it ripped out again a few months later.

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
Most migratory birds in N.A. (yes, this includes pigeons, crows, robins, etc), it's illegal to own their feathers. I have hawk feathers (molting young left a flurry of feathers at a summer camp and I snagged a few) and a raven/crow feather (unsure) but I own them illegally. If Game & Wildlife were to raid my house, I'd have to surrender them.

This is the list of birds covered by the Migratory Bird Act
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

"In the United States, almost all wild birds are protected by the MBTA; this includes many song birds, raptors, and waterfowl. Possession of any part of the birds or their eggs or nests is illegal under the MBTA, even molted feathers found on the ground (you can't prove that you found it instead of ripping it off a bird you just shot)." - Quoted from The Green Wolf

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
Most migratory birds in N.A. (yes, this includes pigeons, crows, robins, etc), it's illegal to own their feathers. I have hawk feathers (molting young left a flurry of feathers at a summer camp and I snagged a few) and a raven/crow feather (unsure) but I own them illegally. If Game & Wildlife were to raid my house, I'd have to surrender them.

Only some pigeons. ;)
The common street pigeons (aka "rock doves" aka "rock pigeons" and whatever else they have decided to call them these days) as well as other non-native introduced pigeons and doves (such a Eurasian collared doves) are NOT protected under MBTA. Native species of dove and pigeon, such as the band-tailed pigeon and mourning dove, ARE protected. Non-native sparrows, such as the House Sparrow and released "pets" such as the Nutmeg Manniken are NOT protected, neither are introduced European Starlings. But other native birds, including the crows and robins you pointed out, ARE protected.

BUT since many people out there don't understand how to identify all the different species (a bird is a bird is a bird...), it is easiest just to say everything is protected and leave it at that. :)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »

Only some pigeons. ;)
The common street pigeons (aka "rock doves" aka "rock pigeons" and whatever else they have decided to call them these days) as well as other non-native introduced pigeons and doves (such a Eurasian collared doves) are NOT protected under MBTA. Native species of dove and pigeon, such as the band-tailed pigeon and mourning dove, ARE protected. Non-native sparrows, such as the House Sparrow and released "pets" such as the Nutmeg Manniken are NOT protected, neither are introduced European Starlings. But other native birds, including the crows and robins you pointed out, ARE protected.

BUT since many people out there don't understand how to identify all the different species (a bird is a bird is a bird...), it is easiest just to say everything is protected and leave it at that. :)

Yay for learning things about birds!

I didn't realize that. I knew that pigeons is really broad term but I didn't know that only some species are protected. That's neat.