Author Topic: looking into getting a rabbit  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Lynke

• <3
looking into getting a rabbit
« on: December 25, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »
Hello everybody :) me and my boyfriend have been talking about a rabbit for a year now. We finally moved in together and the talks have gotten more seriouse. We are thinking sometime in febuary if everything goes as planned. I just have a few questions

Can you guys suggest a bunny forum? I love goosemoose but I know you guys specialize in rats ;)

We want a dwarf rabbit, would a cage 2'x2'x4' be acceptable? We would be slowly working up to free range eventually so this would be more of a sleeping spot or a spot to go if were both not home

Do rabbits require yearly check ups? Or just when something is suspected to be wrong?

Do rabbits do fine solo? Or is a buddy a must?

Any other tips for a first time is ofcourse welcome :)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: looking into getting a rabbit
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »
rabbitsonline.net is the best rabbit forum I've found.

I believe that 2' would be too small. I think you want something closer to at least 3'.

Some rabbits are solo, some need a bunny. You'll want to have them altered if they're buddies. You should actually alter them anyway.

I'd take him/her in for an initial wellness visit. My boy needs regular teeth trimmings, so he's in often.

Do loooots of research, they can be pretty high maintenance. The forum I linked you to is great!

Offline Lynke

• <3
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
I was gonna make him/her a cube and coroplast cage so I'll check to make sure the exact measurment of the panels :D is the extra foot so she can't jump out?

We are also gonna adopt and luckily the places around me already spay/neuter. I heard it helps health and litter training so we'd 100% do it anyway. Luckily through my rat vet pursuit I was lucky to also find a vet excellent with rabbits so check up and spay/neuter will be no problem. We'd preferably like only one so ill look around for one that's human friendly but prefers it solo rabbit wise ^-^

I have already started research but you can never research to much :D these little guys have a lot of information regarding them out their. Thanks for the forum, it'll help me greatly with sorting out contradicting info and my many questions X3

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 12:45:40 AM »
I'd disagree and say they are better in at least pairs.   They are social animals so finding a bonded pair imo is the best choice.   

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
Most bunnies will bond(as long as they're fixed) it just takes time to find a friend.. but I have had single buns do fine. My current boy is alone and I can tell he's not as happy as he could be so I'm going to get him a buddy eventually.
A 2x2x4 C&C would work fine, I believe that's minimum size, just keep in mind you may need a top if you have levels in it.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Lynke

• <3
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
Yes we will definitly be putting a top on it lol. Even though we are bunny proofing (were getting metal cable covers lol) we rent and I don't need bunny hopping over and chewing through a wall while were away lol. Unsafe for both bunny and us (eviction is not my goal here lol)

I will start talking to my boyfriend about a possible pair. Or perhaps we could find a bunny who is aggressive towards other rabbits?

Offline amyshizzle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »
Another great forum is www.binkybunny.com  I love that forum! 

I have three bunnies, all rescues.  As long as you give your bunny A LOT of attention then I don't think it will need a friend but if you work a lot then I suggest getting a bonded pair.  Bonding rabbits can be tricky for some so if you're already thinking of getting a buddy for it why not just get a bonded pair?  Rabbits are not like rats.  They are pretty high maintenance.  I would suggest yearly check-ups for bunnies because bunnies are good at hiding things when they are sick.  Some don't do this but I do. 

For one bun it is recommended for an x-pen enclosure to be 4'x4' so they have plenty of room.  I don't know if you're making a bunny condo but I have both an x-pen and a bunny condo.  Right now since my bunnies are in the process of bonding I have two buns in one xpen and one bun in the condo.  I can't give you dimensions on it though.  lol 

Try going to http://budgetbunny.ca/2011/01/18/building-your-own-bunny-condo-a-step-by-step-how-to/ to learn how to build a condo.  =) 

Rabbits are a ton of fun.  Also, www.rabbit.org  great site.  HRS is an amazing organization. 

Good luck!! 
I miss having ratties!

Offline nesterdron

• Ritten
looking into getting a rabbit
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:15:03 PM »
Well Ive found a few, now its just a matter if getting rod of my B5 If I cant find a decent 5 speed, how much worse is the Auto?

And, when is a mileage point that I should use as a cutoff, Im looking up to 130k miles.
без подписи