Author Topic: I am interested in getting some ASF's  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Allenya

I am interested in getting some ASF's
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »
Many moons ago! lol Sorry, I'll be serious now. Little hyped on happy.
Some time ago a friend of mine told me about ASF rats. She had known someone that had a pair as pets and she had fallen in love with them.
Softer then the average rat, smaller but not to small and friendly. She had fallen in love and ever since had wanted some.

When she told me about them I looked up pictures and wanted some as soon as I saw that little face.
Well now that I have the time and space I am looking at getting some.
Right now I am looking for any information I can find on the care and requirements of these little animals.

From what I have found they don't tend to be as friendly as the pair my friend met, they take much more patients and training then a normal rat. I also understand that they chew a lot and have to be house in all metal cages or large tanks.

I have been searching the net for breeders, preferably in my area so I can also find somewhere to get them as they aren't in the pet stores here. Sadly all the breeders I find are feeder breeders who's info on care for these is poor. I have only found one breeder in British Columbia, Canada and they do not sell live or for pets.
Mom to 3 ferrets: Zeus, Hades and Nyx / 1 cat: Chairman Meow / 3 rats: Twins Hikaru, Kaoru and Peety / and 2 corn snakes: Seth and Osiris.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: I am interested in getting some ASF's
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:54:02 PM »
I had one for a little while, he wasn't really a pick up and play with pet.   Most are now bred as feeders and can be found through feeder breeders or some amphibian/reptile pet stores.   Sorry.

Offline Allenya

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
Thank you for the information.

I don't mind getting from a feeder breeder in they aren't inbreed or sickly and young enough.
Mom to 3 ferrets: Zeus, Hades and Nyx / 1 cat: Chairman Meow / 3 rats: Twins Hikaru, Kaoru and Peety / and 2 corn snakes: Seth and Osiris.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
inbreeding at least in terms of our standard pet rats is a practice thought if used correctly can improve the future generations.   I'm not sure if the same is with asf by is very possible it is and it isn't always a negative thing.   

Offline Allenya

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
What I mean is I don't want to bring a new member into my family that is sickly and doesn't stay with me long. Rats already don't live long enough.  :'(