Author Topic: Help with Aggressive Blue Crown Conure  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Dfwgolden

Help with Aggressive Blue Crown Conure
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »
I recently adopted a 25 year old Blue Crowned Conure from a man who couldn't take him with him.
He and his wife were getting a divorce, and he had to move in with his brother who is allergic to birds.

He has had this bird since it was a baby and he is now 25 years old. I cannot even begin to describe how awful I felt seeing this man cry as I carried his bird away.
I feel like a sick person splitting up a family  :-\

Vert or now renamed Sheldon is a text book conure in every way. I have only had tamed Cockatiels but always wanted a conure. Little to my knowledge they're one person birds. I began to read into that a little more just before I picked him up.

This bird is aggressive beyond belief, draw blood aggressive. Last night he was very stressed out which I expected due to the massive change after so long. He bit the hell out of me 4 times and the last time I ended up having to pull away as he had a hold on my nail.

Many people are saying I don't have a chance at taming him. Which worries me because i want to be able to at least inspect him in case of any injuries.
I was able to get him to take a treat using a pair of tongs, however I cannot use my bare hand.

Is there anything I can do to help him feel more comfortable and less "I hate you, I hate life, I hate everyone and everything?"

I know he may never be perfect but I would like to be able to enjoy him rather than be absolutely terrified he is going to hurt me.
I know it's early to be concerned but I am afraid I will never be able to handle him and that will cause future problems.