Author Topic: Galvanized or Stainless Steel BASS pans? (and misaligned doors)  (Read 326 times)

Offline YahMezSoup

• Ritten
 :wave2: Hi Everyone, new here and just picked up a used DCN. Thinking about going the route of felt, but still investing in pans just incase the felt route doesn't work out. So can someone explain the difference between the stainless and galvanized option? I'm assuming stainless is a bit less scent and stain resistant. I would paint them either way, or should I not paint stainless?

One last thing, the doors on the cage are a little off, especially the one on the top left, there is a decent bit of space between the top frame and top of the door (nothing a rat could escape from, maybe 1/4"... I just find it incredibly unappealing and tend to verge on a bit OCD) Is there an easy way to adjust it back into square? Or do I really have to just bang the entire section with the door with a mallet until it returns to shape? Everything fits together quite simply so I am not sure if it's a factory thing, or just being out of square.

Currently ratless but returning to rat ownership after a decade and a half of doing without. Doing things the right way and slowly putting together the perfect habitat, and doing all the research possible before bringing any babies home. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for all the help and knowledge! What a wonderful source of information this place has been the past few weeks!  :heart: :bow:

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Galvanized or Stainless Steel BASS pans? (and misaligned doors)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
Hello and welcome!

I had one full-sized Bass pan that I used on the bottom level of a DCN. I loved it. I usually used it with a loose substrate bedding and I placed fleece mats on the other levels.

Mine was galvanized steel and it was painted when I bought it (second hand). The paint was chipping off in places so I stripped all of the paint off with Aircraft Remover (gel, not spray) and then repainted it. You're right that the galvanized pans works best when coated because galvanized steel can absorb urine and odors over time. It's basically impossible to get smells out once they've soaked into the metal. Stainless steel shouldn't have that problem so the stainless pans wouldn't need to be coated.

If you're planning on painting them either way, it would be cheaper to go with the galvanized pans. I see no purpose in going with the stainless steel if they're going to be painted anyway.

It also might be a good idea to make some calls to get some price quotes on having the pans powder coated instead of spray painting them yourself. Powder coating can be more expensive but it's also more durable.

Offline YahMezSoup

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:28:56 AM »
Awesome, that's kind of what I figured, but happy to have that confirmed! Splurge for stainless and just don't paint it... save money and create another project with galvanized ...  ??? ??? ???

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
I think some people like the ease of the stainless pans but I'm not a fan of the shiny metal look. I spray painted mine a dark gray color that closely matched the powder coating of the cage itself so the pan just disappeared. You could also paint the pans fun colors if that's what you're into =)

As for the misaligned door, you might just want to live with it. It could potentially be possible to pound on a hinge or bar or something to push it into the correct position but this could also result in irreparable damage. Unless it doesn't function with ease, I would just leave it be and try not to look at it too closely.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
DCN's often need to be "persuaded" with a rubber mallet.  If you don't have a rubber mallet, put a piece of wood (at least an inch thick) over the spot and hit the wood.  That will protect the enamel from damage and help keep the frame from getting dented.

When I ordered my Bass pans, the stainless steel were so much more expensive than the galvanized that it was cheaper to buy the galvanized pans and get them powder-coated.  If you can find a place near you that does powder-coating (a lot of companies like to take on outside jobs, because it helps pay for the cost of running the oven for their own work), ask them if they have Tiger Drylac color #RAL 7043--it's an almost exact match to the color Midwest uses on the cage.  It's probably not worth paying a custom color fee, but if they have it anyway, it will make the pans blend right in.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum! This is a GREAT resource. Sorry the cage is still giving you problems. I thought you had rattie girls and boys, not ratless. Hope nothing happened to your furbabies.  :(
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline YahMezSoup

• Ritten
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »
Thanks everyone!!! I just picked up some overtime and went stainless lol, they arrive tomorrow and then the fun begins of finally getting everything together! :D :D :D :D :D :D The babies are two weeks old today and I'll be going to the breeders within the next few weeks to have first pick from the boys :D

Now to decide to sew pads, or just cut and trim the felt  ??? ??? ??? I've seen plenty of images of both options and I'm not quite sure which direction to go in yet.

Mountaintop - it's been well over a decade since I've had any ratties, so excited to be a rat dad again! :D  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »
Welcome back to ratdaddyhood! As for my insane post, please forgive.

What are the odds--I sold a used DCN to a person who was returning to rat ownership after a long gap. In the midst of great craziness in our lives, we moved heaven and earth to get a quick clean and deliver it for her several hours round trip so she'd have it when she got back from school and got her rats. Also thew in a used giant igloo, litter pan, Wodent Wheel and space pod. My description--I thought--was honest/accurate to a fault including some rusting and need for deep cleaning. She was very excited in concept (I would have killed for that price back in the day, esp with both shelves and Bass pans as well as extras), but when she got home expressed upset over... are you ready... slightly misaligned doors on one of the levels, and the quality of the Bass pans. See why I thought this was the same situation when I read your message? I ended up refunding enough money for her to do pet-safe coating on the bars, but she still appears dissatisfied. I feel really bad about the whole thing and plan to order a new Wodent Wheel for her as she found it hard to clean it to her satisfaction.

When I read your post, I never dreamed the exact same situation could have occurred at the same time. I immediately worried... OH no, she was upset enough about the cage she returned the rats????

I think I just woke up in the Matrix. or an X-files episode.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
In the midst of great craziness in our lives, we moved heaven and earth to get a quick clean and deliver it for her several hours round trip so she'd have it when she got back from school and got her rats. Also thew in a used giant igloo, litter pan, Wodent Wheel and space pod. My description--I thought--was honest/accurate to a fault including some rusting and need for deep cleaning. She was very excited in concept (I would have killed for that price back in the day, esp with both shelves and Bass pans as well as extras), but when she got home expressed upset over... are you ready... slightly misaligned doors on one of the levels, and the quality of the Bass pans. See why I thought this was the same situation when I read your message? I ended up refunding enough money for her to do pet-safe coating on the bars, but she still appears dissatisfied. I feel really bad about the whole thing and plan to order a new Wodent Wheel for her as she found it hard to clean it to her satisfaction.

What!? You're too nice. Like seriously!

I'll take your experience as a word of caution and only sell to people who are willing to pick-up. If they're not pleased with the cage or the price, they don't have to take it. I might be selling my CNs soon so this is a headache I'd like to avoid. So sorry that you were made to feel like you owed this person something when you clearly didn't.

Offline YahMezSoup

• Ritten
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »
Mountaintop lol that's hilarious, especially since I just got done watching the Matrix ;)