Author Topic: Back at it!  (Read 207 times)

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
Back at it!
« on: July 08, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
Hi guys! I've been out of the rat keeping game for a while. My apartment doesn't allow them... but I own my own store (a tailor shop) now and have for 3 years... and I decided it was time for ratties again! I bought a secondhand (but it looks like new) cage suitable for two. The calculator says 4, but I think that would be too crowded.

There aren't many postings in my town for rats. Only one I saw and it was for a single female. I wanted boys, so I put up an ad saying that I wanted to take in a pair. I had two responses each saying they had one boy to rehome. I've taken one (he came from roughly 100km away) and he arrived last night. Cute little agouti hooded dumbo named Clyde. His previous rat-mom said he is 6mos old. I'm keeping his original name, it is a good one!

I had another response from someone saying they have an 18mos old guy and his brother just died so she wants to find him a home that can give him a buddy. I've asked for pics but haven't heard back yet. I am not supposed to have rats at my apartment, but I could keep the older guy there for 2 weeks for the quarantine period.

So far, Clyde is very sweet. He did pee on me, but no fear poops so that is great. He was pretty timid last night, but is a bit more affectionate this morning. He really likes getting scritches. I am glad I kept all of my old hammock and polar fleece stash from a few years ago. I decked out his cage with a matching hammock set that I made. Pink/orange/white hammocks. A flat, a pocket, a seamless cube and a double decker, Even had enough of the left over fabric still to make a pad for the bottom of the cage. My tablet picture quality is kinda crappy... so I need to find my digital camera.

I was expecting to get all set up first, but then got the response for him. Since they live so far away and were coming to my city last night, I took him right away. He has to use the little water bottle until the 16oz one gets here. I am also waiting on some lab blocks, so I am gonna pick up some stuff for Suebees tonight. Until tomorrow he has the remainder of his food.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Back at it!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
CongRATS!! He is adorable!! Now you'll have to keep posting pictures of him and his "brother" when you get him...  :cheeky:

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:51:39 AM »
haha Totally will! I love taking pics and videos of my ratties! I hope the second person responds to my email soon!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »
What a precious little fuzzbutt! I can't believe how open ad curious his little face is with all the changes he's been through!!!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Just started introducing Clydes new cagemate! There is a bit of squeaking going on from the new guy, but it should all be good.

The new guy is an odd-eye (never had one before!) beige Hooded dumbo. He is very cute and sweet. A little smaller than Clyde. He is about a month younger.

I've been calling him Bonny... because his original name was Cyclops and I didn't like that for a pets name.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
 :heart: :heart: :heart:

Of all my years of rat-keeping, I've only had one odd-eye. Every once in a while, I'll get something I've not had before. And I'm not trying to pick and chose my rats! It just comes along. My odd-eye was a female, but looked a lot like your Bonny!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
He is a bonny braw laddie, so the name fits very well!  Och aye, ye did good!  I hope the twa wee bairns will be the best o' friends.

(Sorry!  Every now and then my inner Scotsman peeks out for a bit.)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
He is a bonny braw laddie, so the name fits very well!  Och aye, ye did good!  I hope the twa wee bairns will be the best o' friends.

(Sorry!  Every now and then my inner Scotsman peeks out for a bit.)

;)