Author Topic: Science Diet Food Costs  (Read 98 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Science Diet Food Costs
« on: August 18, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »
Great! Not working and now have two cats needing Science Diet canned--metabolic and KD. Where's the cheapest place to buy it. I think our wonderful new vet will cooperate with prescribing for a cheaper place.
P.S. Nobody seems to be reading cat postings this summer, not even the mods boo hoo. :-( Is there another cat site people use and I'm just not in the know (typical for me?) Although summer is slow even on the rat postings.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Science Diet Food Costs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:12:30 PM »
I'm sorry!  It's been a crazy couple months...

Personally, I think SD is overrated.  Greatly so.    You're honestly better off with a cheaper alternative high protein food. 

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
Marybelle, Murphy is doing well on the prescription diet KD although the price is terrible, so we'll continue doing that for a while. But what would you suggest as a replacement for Mei-Mei's prescription diet metabolic formula to help her lose weight? The vet is having us gradually pick up the dry food (low starch no additives) for longer and longer each day and ultimately wants them both on nothing but canned food. I thought that was bad for their teeth...
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:48:32 AM »
I can't comment on SD alternatives since I switch between raw/canned/Taste of the Wild for my boy so best of luck with that!

The bad teeth on wet food thing is really just a myth. There's this idea that eating kibble helps "clean" teeth with cats and dogs but that's not true either. Cats tend to swallow things whole anyways. I've found that my cat does better on raw/canned than kibble because he's getting more water via his food than just drinking alone.

ETA: What does a bag of Science Diet cost now anyways? Mom fed it to our cats growing up but I don't remember now.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:51:21 AM by mutewolf »

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:49 AM »
I'm currently taking a nutrition class in my vet tech course and my professor for that thinks that all cats should be on wet food. According to her cats don't drink as much water as they should, so wet food helps get even more in them.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »
Yeah--our vet wants both cats on nothing but wet...
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »
Yeah, if you've ever had to clean up cat puke, you know that cats don't actually chew kibble..  :P

For losing weight, canned or raw is going to be much better, simply because it removes starches and ups liquid intake, both of which are good.  And it may be better for your kidney boy, too.  :)