Author Topic: Poryphrin from only one eye? Advice please  (Read 77 times)

Offline sujamma

Poryphrin from only one eye? Advice please
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:05:25 AM »
Hey, guys. For the past few days, I've been noticing a recurring dark ring around my little boy Wesker's right eye, but tonight it was extremely apparent. I know this is usually a sign of infection, but what kind? If it was stress or irritation from the air, or, say, an upper respiratory infection, wouldn't be on both sides? He has no other symptoms, and his lungs sound clear.
I included some pictures to give you all an idea.

The (right) eye in question:

You can see how pronounced the dark ring of dried poryphrin is in this shot particularly (above).

For comparison, this is his healthy (left) eye:

As you can see, no red stains whatsoever.

What should I do? Is there anything I can do at home, or does this require urgent vet care?
Let me know if you've experienced this. He's my little sweetheart.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
Re: Poryphrin from only one eye? Advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »
Doesn't really look like anything is physically wrong with his eye itself, just the porphyrin.  I've has rats in the past that have had the same thing and it's been suggested by the vet that it is a blocked tear duct, nothing to be done about it.  I normally used to take a warm wet washcloth an gently wipe/rinse the porphyrin off.  If you notice the eye itself having any changes or issues, time for a vet appointment.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
My rat, Tobi, has the exact same thing. It's mostly there when he wakes up, but then he'll clean his face and it'll go away. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Online gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 03:33:46 PM »
Wesker's is gorgeous!

Offline sujamma

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
Thank you so much for the helpful replies, and gramma2jaakk for the compliment! That puts my mind at ease for now. I'll do as you said, mamarat2. Wesker is my shoulder rat, the closest to me out of my remaining 2 boys, so it really worried me that something might be wrong with his eye. I know how some rats lose eyes from certain things, and I didn't want that happening in case it was an infection from a cut or something.

I'll keep watching him and keeping it clean then. :BlueDumboSmile:

PS: What kind physical changes should I look out for, by the way, just in case?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:41:52 PM by sujamma »

Offline sujamma

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »
Thinking back, I just realized this may started when I accidentally poked him in the eye while he was climbing on me and I went to catch him. I remember he reacted to it by squeaking and squinting and I felt bad. Could that be the cause of a blocked duct, or could I have hurt him long term? Now I'm a little worried again. :(

I've been washing his eye with the warm washcloth, by the way, but it starts weeping again with poryphrin soon after. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:45:23 PM by sujamma »

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »
Yeah that's normal as you wipe it away more will show up.  I wouldn't worry that you hurt him, it's common that they can have one eye be more porphy than the other eye.  As for changes. I mean with the skin around the eye or his actual eye; if the skin starts looking swollen or the eye itself starts looking larger than it should be.  He is a very handsome manrat!   :heart:
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org