Author Topic: Cage help....clueless...  (Read 3954 times)

Offline pita

• Posts Too Much!
  • Yes, my username is an acronym :3
Cage help....clueless...
« on: January 05, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
Hey there...my girlfriend recently got a rabbit. I have no clue what breed she is, but she looks similar to one of mypast rabbits...who was sold to me as a dwarf lop but ended up being anything but either of those. It's a female and I'm expecting her to grow to around seven or eight pounds..that's around what my past rabbit weighed who looked like this rabbit does. She is now only about three months old.

I am looking to buy her a cage for her new bunny as the one she has just doesnt seem nice enough or roomy enough to me :3 I've seen awewsome room set ups and I know how I personally would house my rabbit, but in this case I need a cage, and definitely one with a pan as she uses bedding.

I basically would like the biggest cage possible for $80 or under, I just have no clue how to shop for a rabbit cage...

I could also construct one out of hardware cloth which I may end up doing as I can do bigger for less money. If I do do this, would it be good to make a shelf or second level? Or will the rabbit not use this? I know one of my past rabbits used a large tall ramp coming out of her outdoor hutch but she was the only one who would use it, so I dont know if she was just weird or the other ones were just scaredy cats....

If anyone has any ideas on how to help me out or give me tips, let me know!

Thank you very much in advance:)

Offline htsr4

Re: Cage help....clueless...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »
Maybe a c&c cage.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/
Rabbits may chew the coroplast. You could try these but I don't know if a rabbit could chew through them.
http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-cages-guinea-pigs/10-accessories

I could make a 2x6 c&c (2 grids tall. no top) for about $75-$80. I cant imagine anyone having to pay too much more than that. If it would need a top I could make a 2x5 for the same price.

Offline aquaseafoam

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »
The House Rabbit Society is a great resource for information.  Here is a link to their info on housing:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/housing.html

Personally, I've made a cage using hardware cloth and pieces from a metal shelving unit.  Some rabbits will use shelves or upper decks in their cage if they realize they can get to them.  My rabbit didn't even need a ramp, she'd just jump up there.  However, you want to make sure there is enough room for them to stand up and stretch and hop around on the bottom too.
Dot- beige capped smoothcoat dumbo 8/09
Taj- Pearl merle bershire smoothcoat dumbo ~12/08 I'm over 3 years old!!
Coraline (RIP)- black hooded smoothcoat dumbo 7/09-11/11

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Even a 2x4 C&C should do. The rabbit needs room to stand completely on its hind legs, as well as like 2-3X it's body length when it's completely stretched out. You can get the coroplast and I had tops on my C&C, cause my rabbit jumped. :doh:

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
Do you plan to litter train at all? I've had really good luck with a puppy pen from WalMart - they're made of 8 - 2' panels that you can configure how you want (sqare, octagon, etc.) Cost around $40 or $45, plus the $60 or so I paid for the cage - you may not need one as big as I had for the boys, since I have two. I took the cage I started them out in and made that the kitchen/potty area.

Offline pita

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:25:56 PM »
She might litter train once she has a bigger cage - I'm trying my best to educate her on how she should be cared for but I can only do so much. Which is why I'm going to buy or build a cage myself so at least the bunny (Molly) has somewhere nice to live.

The puppy pen is a really good idea, but the cage cant be any bigger than necesarry... again, I know how I'd house my rabbit but I'm just trying to do what I can right now. I'm thinking of using hardware cloth, and a cement mixing tub. The cement mixing tub is about 36 x 24 x 24, and eight inches deep. I'd then make the top out of hardware cloth, probably two feet on top of the tub, with a shelf and shallow ramp. Underneath the shelf I'd make a little nesting box/den thing... would these dimensions be at least suitable? Maybe not ideal but not completely terrible? Something I can convince her to keep the bunny in in her room >.>

This bunny is extremely sweet and friendly and gets a ton of attention and out of cage time. Multiple hours a day. I know she's getting fed properly as well, it's just a matter of the caging I want to work on.

Thank you all for all of the suggestions and help :3 I really appreciate it!

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
JMHO, I  think that's a great way to start if she has lots of time out where she can actually take some hops and do some binking, (not always being held). You can always add the pen or some other kind of run later. My boys used the shelf a lot when they were little, and loved to hide under it, so I think the idea of a box under there is a good one. Your gf will probably start getting some ideas of her own, too, once she sees how much exercise they need and space they need to move around some. Nothing like a binking bun to make you want to move into one room and give them the rest of the house... :D

Just curious, what will you use for the frame?

Offline pita

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
That's what I'm figuring and hoping too :) she has an entire large spare bedroom that I'm hoping eventually will be the buns  :wink5:

I'm thinking those steel posts, that are about two inches wide. I know wood isnt good because it can soak up smells and be chewed and such. I have the means to cut the steel to the length I need. I'm also going to use clips, I forget what they are called, to attatch the hardware structure to the bin, so the top can just be detatched and the tub emptied, bedding changed, etc. Large door on the front and maybe make the top a flip top since I'll be hand making it anyways. Might as well make it as user friendly as possible  :balloon:

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
You mean like the pound-in fence posts? Sounds like a good, sturdy set-up - heck, with that much serious steel in there, you may not even need to worry about clipping the cage to the pan. Might just be heavy enough that it will sit right in there.

I really like the idea of a flip top, too - or at least some kind of access door in the top. Very handy.

Offline pita

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
Yess that kind exactly. I want to make sure it lasts ad is not a hassle to use or clean. That would be great if it's heavy enough to just sit on top of the tub :) make my job of setting something up to make it removable much easier haha.

I'm not going to be starting this for at least another week or two, until I get a firm plan of what I'm doing down, but I'm sure I'll have more questions and if anyone thinks of any tips, let me know  :help:  :wink5:

I'll also update with pictures when I do construct it

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »
Go with the grid cubes still. They're a bit more than 12" long. So you could use those as the outside and lid, and use the cement tub still. And it would be sturdier than hardware cloth.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
That might just work great! I'm guessing it would be easier to clean than hardware cloth, too?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »
so the 36x24 is the base of the whole cage?   With the slopped sides on the cement mixing tray?

"Recommended Hutch Sizes

The RWA (UK) recommend a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2' to meet the duty of care requirements under the animal welfare act. With the addition of an exercise run. The RSPCA are currently gathering evidence and will present guidelines in 2012.

The ASPCA (US) recommends rabbits should be housed indoors only in a cage a minimum of 4' x 2' x 2', again with access to a large exercise area." 
http://www.therabbithouse.com/guide_size.asp
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:27:39 AM by *Kat* »

Offline pita

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »
I realize that the 36 x 24 inches is far from ideal housing conditions, but its better than what she has, and it's as big as I can get my girlfriend to agree to, for the moment at least. It's not how I would house my rabbits but it's the best I can do trying to care for a rabbit that isnt even mine and that I only see from time to time.

I'll look into the grids rather than the hardware cloth, thanks for the suggestion :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
Be sure to post pics! :)