Author Topic: New Bunny Cage with Questions  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Rosepetalbed

New Bunny Cage with Questions
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
Hello all this is not my bunny but I am "bunny sitting" her for some time (2 years) so wanted to make her comfortable....I upgraded her cage yesterday and did a home made cage but have questions.....she is not potty trained but I did read how to train and have started that process....but want to use something as a floor....another member suggested fake grass and a shower curtain....I order the grass and I am waiting for it to be sent but worried about the grass being ruined since she still isn't potty trained....what does everyone use?

Here is the upgraded cage with the old cage attached:
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
Re: New Bunny Cage with Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
The grass won't be ruined- it's plastic - although it may get a bit messy if she isn't trained. My boys were trained, but went absolutely crazy when the hormones hit and started marking everything.  :shocked2:

I kept two of those rugs, and would switch them out. The yukky one went outside to be scrubbed up with some soapy vinegar water, then hosed off. Lay it out in the sun or hang to dry, easy peasy. I'm not sure of the size of your cage there, but you may even be able to cut your roll in half and have two pieces.

Now that my fellas are  trained AND neutered, I just use a roll of indoor/outdoor carpet. Very easy to keep tidy with my little shop vac.

Looks like you've got a great set up started there! I don't know how old your girl is, but I know mine took right to the litter box immediately, so you may not have much mess on the rug at all.

Offline htsr4

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
My old bunny decided its too much work to go to the litter pan every time she needed to go so I now use a shower curtain liner with a blanket (comforter) on top of that with towels on top of that. It works really well to keep her dry.

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice!!! After the first morning I peeked in and there was a path of pee...(my house is on the hill so it actually went down stream and formed a puddle instead of soaking in) But I knew my husband would not be happy with hearing shes peeing on the floor.....I know she can't understand me but simply said to her "Java you need to go Poop and pee in the cage till we have a floor cover" she was not happy lol Thumping the floor in spite! I have the liner all ready but sure she would chew thru it...I put an area rug in there that I checked and it was wet too..... :confused: she also chewed that! But this morning I peeked in and it looked like she went on a pooping spree in her cage.....I know she doesnt like the cage but I need to please everyone, hubby included (he does pay the mortgage and all :bow:) The grass as been shipped so hoping it gets here soon :)
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
Actually, keeping her in the cage with the litter box is a great idea - it's a smaller space, and they have to pick a corner to go in that smaller space, so they get the idea quicker. I did that with the boys when they were babies and for awhile after their neuter surgery to kind of retrain them and it worked like a champ.

Now I keep the litter box in the cage, hay and pellets next to it, and the cage is open to the pen at all times. Nary a raisin outside the cage. lol If she's consistantly going in the opposite corner from where you put the box, move the mountain to Muhammed, so to speak. Once she has the hang of the box and you want to let her out in the pen area, you can put a litter box out there, too, if you want.