Author Topic: Which pet do you prefer, Gerbils or Mice?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline silver124

• Ritten
Which pet do you prefer, Gerbils or Mice?
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »
A few months ago, my Chinese hamster died. I'm looking for another small pet to occupy her place. I enjoyed her, but she quite lazy and I'm looking for a more active pet. I have researched both and I like that you can tame mice more but I like how active gerbils are. I'm not sure. Which one do you prefer and why?

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Which pet do you prefer, Gerbils or Mice?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »
I've only had mice (gerbils are to twitchy and fast for me lol) and I loved them. I had a girl mouse who would give kisses if you put her up to your lips. They are sweet creatures and very active. I would definitely recommend mice as companions. :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline silver124

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:53:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply!   :)
I have a question, were your mice active during the day? They are labeled nocturnal but a lot of owners say they were awake during the day as well. It would be great for me to play with them during the day. Oh also, did yours like to burrow? I'm not sure how much bedding to supplysupply.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
Oh yes! They were up often during the day. I cant remember if they enjoyed burrowing. I just know they loved their wheel a lot. And climbing on things I would put in their cage. They loved climbing. I had hamsters who liked burrowing somewhat but I dont recall the mice doing it.i would put 2 or 3 inches of bedding in my own cage. I think that was a comfortable amount for them.  :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline silver124

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:21:36 AM »
OK. Thank you for the information. Mice sound like interesting animals! I can imagine decorating the tank already.

Offline Clairity95

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »
I've only had gerbils and those things were escape artists. To this day we have no idea how they got out. We took every precaution possible. Finally we got fish tanks with screens on top (I know the problems with those now but this was 2003) and SOMEHOW the things still got out. I'd never do gerbils or roborovsky hamsters again because of the hyperactivity. I'd definitely pick mice over gerbils. Dwarf hamsters are also good options if you want something really little (not robos unless you like hyperactivity).