Author Topic: Pasquale has a bump!!!!!!!!  (Read 714 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Pasquale has a bump!!!!!!!!
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »
For a while now I've noticed that pasquale hasn't been super excited about food. Today I noticed swelling right under the right side of his jaw. I'm super worried about him.

Here's a picture.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Pasquale has a bump!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
Poor guy. Have you been to the vets yet? Could be an abscess. My poor rattie Popcorn had facial swelling. Idk why but in my experience, stuff with the face is harder to treat than other parts. Best to get him into the vet asap so he can get a head start on treatment. Keep us updated on him. Sending good thoughts.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
Thanks, Kitsch. I got him in to see the vet and he said it's an abscess. Pasquale is on some antibiotics. The vet told me if it doesn't rupture by itself or get smaller by Monday they'll lance it. The poor little rat has lost a good amount of weight since the last time I weighed him, at the end of December. He lost around 70g. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »
Poor little guy! Sending healing wishes for Pasquale.   :heart:  And some for you too!!   :heart: :heart:

And in my experiences also, anything with the face takes longer to heal.  One of my girls (Daisy, RIP) had an abscess on her face between her eyes and nose that never healed.  :(

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
I had one like that  few years back and it turned out to be an abscess in the cheek (inside of the mouth).  Vet put him under to clean it out once and it healed well after that with him on antibiotics for a week or so.  Might ask the vet if they can put him under and get it cleaned out sooner, would probably heal faster in the long run.  Abscesses suck.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
The soonest I could get the vet to clean it out would be Monday. They're always closed on Sundays and they're closed this Saturday for some reason. Personally I hope it ruptures by itself, because I don't really have to money for another appointment.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »
Personally I hope it ruptures by itself, because I don't really have to money for another appointment.

Perhaps a warm compress for short periods of time could encourage drainage?

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »
I am happy to announce that Pasquale's abscess ruptured today! I don't know exactly when it happened, but his abscess is half the size and he has a scab under his chin! I'm glad I don't have to take him back to the vet. He didn't enjoy it and I need all the money I have for the apartment my husband, two of our friends, and I just got accepted for~

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »
I'm happy Pasquale is getting better:) so the abscess was on the outside of his mouth, right? Congrats on new apartment:)

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
I am happy to announce that Pasquale's abscess ruptured today! I don't know exactly when it happened, but his abscess is half the size and he has a scab under his chin! I'm glad I don't have to take him back to the vet. He didn't enjoy it and I need all the money I have for the apartment my husband, two of our friends, and I just got accepted for~

YAY!  Try to continue doing warm compresses to the area with the scab (warm water on a cotton ball) once or twice a day if you can; it will help it to continue to completely drain and heal nicely.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »
I would love to do warm compresses, but Pasquale refuses to let me hold anything to him for very long.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »
I had good luck microwaving a very wet washcloth and putting it in a Ziplock bag, then holding the rattie against me (and the bag) against my belly under a towel or against my chest in a rRatoob. With scritches and cuddles this worked pretty well.

Keep an eye on it. Odds are small, but an abscess on the face or throat can be an early sign of a Zymbal's gland tumor.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Welp. Pasquale now has a scab dangling from the underside of his chin. From what I can see the majority of the pus is gone. It makes me a little nervous that he has a hole under his face.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
And now the scab has fallen off... I decided to sniff the pus and it smells horrible.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:44:15 PM by MinervaThonosi »

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »
Again, try the warm compress.  Even if he will only let you do it for a minute or two 2-3 times a day it will be better than nothing.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »
Perhaps get a tub/bucket, fill it up to where his chin would hit the top of the water and give him a salt water soak. Make sure the tub or bucket is tall enough he cant jump out (maybe use your bath tub?) This way he can get a warm salt water soak without squirming around in your hands. And you should rinse him off with clean water after soaking.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
Pasquale saw the vet again today. The vet is 99% sure he's all better. Because of where the scab is he can't rule out the chance of a cracked tooth. So next month Pasquale is going to have a quick recheck.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »
Whew. I'm so relieved.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
Glad to hear. Hopefully no cracked teeth! :heart:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
Thanks for all the good thoughts!

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 07:44:13 PM »
Sad news!  :'( Pasquale's abscess is back. He's schedualed for a quick visit Saturday, but it looks like he needs a regular visit.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
Abscesses sometimes come back, especially if the hole heals with pus still in there.  If the vet lances it, squirt some sterile saline solution in the wound once or twice a day to keep it flushed out.  You can use a water-based antiseptic on it, but no ointments--the idea is to let the air in so the wound can heal from the inside out.  That way it won't come back.  Good luck!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 06:43:34 PM »
You should eventually get ahead of this even if it does recur a few times. Since it has returned once now, I highly recommend getting a prescription for SMZ (trimethoprim sulfa) from your vet. SMZ is very good for infections of the skin and will help keep the abscess from reforming once it is drained/flushed.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 10:35:47 AM »
Over this week Pasquale's abscess ruptured on its own. I just got back from the vet. I got a different antibiotic, was suggested a way to help clean the spot, and got an estimate for a head x-ray to see if it's his tooth that's the problem. $160. I can't afford that right now. Husband and I are having some money troubles right now and I just don't know what to do.

Offline stkmw02

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
How have things progressed since your last vet visit?  Does Pasquale still need the xray?