Author Topic: Squeaking mouse?  (Read 600 times)

Offline notsaying

Squeaking mouse?
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
Is it normal for mice to "talk"? I have a male mouse who has been sitting in his igloo making these weird quiet chirping noises. Is this normal? I'm worried.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Squeaking mouse?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »
I know nothing about mice, but if it were a rat, I'd get him to the vet and get him checked out.  (You can try listening to his lungs to see if this is a respiratory problem; that's what we do for rats.  A mouse, being so much smaller, might be harder to hear, however, so not hearing any lung sounds might not be a guarantee that the lungs are clear.)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline notsaying

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 01:23:45 AM »
I hadn't thought of that because he only makes the sounds periodically. I'll keep an eye on him. Thanks for the advice. I'm a little paranoid to began with because now I'm worried that his orangey color is fading, though that could be because of aging (but the again I've only had him a couple weeks) or diet change.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
Could be a resp. infection of some kind, or it could be mites and he's expressing his discomfort. Whatever the reason, I agree with BigBen about the vet. They will be able to tell you if anything/what is wrong. The only time I had a mouse making "chirping" noises he needed to be put on clindamycin for resp. infection.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats